Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Attempted murder trial verdict in March

Attempted murder trial verdict in March

Attempted murder trial verdict in March

Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday concluded its trial of a 25-year-old construction worker accused of the attempted murder of a construction manager last year.

Presiding Judge Sin Visal said the accused, Men Ra, was charged in October for the attempted murder of Nouv Ratana, 30, after his arrest at a private company’s construction site in Tonle Bassac commune in Phnom Penh’s Chamkarmon district.

“Men Ra used a long wooden stick and beat the back and neck of the victim while he was walking into a bathroom, in order to steal US$100 from him. However, he did not kill him after the victim had accepted to pay him the money,” he said.

Sin Visal said a verdict would be announced on March 21.

Men Ra told the court that he attacked Nouv Ratana because he failed to pay him his salary for several months.

“I had worked for Nouv Ratana’s construction company for many months in Phnom Penh but he did not pay me, except for food,” Men Ra told the court.

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not