Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Au Revoir Cambodge Soir

Au Revoir Cambodge Soir

Au Revoir Cambodge Soir

The editorial staff and translators of French language newspaper Cambodge Soir resigned

July 11 in order to end the ongoing dispute with the paper's directors. The resignation

of 17 journalists and translators came a month after a strike by the staff had halted

publication of the daily paper. According to a press statement, the dispute was sparked

after a reporter had been fired for filing a story on the investigation into illegal

logging by UK-based NGO Global Witness, which had been banned by the Cambodian government.

After two-days of the strike, director Phillipe Monnin allegedly closed the newspaper,

citing bankruptcy.

MOST VIEWED

  • Serious flooding across country

    The Kampong Speu provincial Committee for Disaster Management on Wednesday issued an alert after non-stop heavy rain caused widespread flooding. In Koh Kong province, authorities are working with the disaster committee and the Cambodian Red Cross to assist those affected after more than 350 homes were

  • CNRP points to King in call for vote boycott

    Leaders of the former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) have taken a new tack in their call for a boycott of the national elections later this month. They are now claiming that the people should follow the King, who is expected to abide by tradition

  • Actress’s NGO takes heat for promoting the ruling party

    An actress’s NGO which participated in an election campaign event contrary to the Law on Association and Non-Governmental Organisations (Lango) has been slammed. Chorn Chanleakena, a celebrity and the president of the Association of Artists Volunteering to Help Society, allegedly led its members in

  • Troop moves ‘won’t worry people’

    Senior officials at the Ministry of Defence and National Police said on Tuesday that riot training provided to the country’s police forces were aimed at preventing unexpected demonstrations and strikes before and after the July 29 national elections. The troop mobilisation, they said, would not