Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Australia gives KRT $3 million

Australia gives KRT $3 million

Australia gives KRT $3 million

The Australian government has committed another $3 million to the Khmer Rouge tribunal’s international side.

The new contribution brings its total funding to the court to more than $24 million, making it the second-largest donor after Japan.

“As we await the verdict for Case 002/01 and continue the work on the remaining cases, this funding helps to ensure that justice can be delivered to the people of Cambodia in a timely fashion,” the court’s acting administrative director, Tony Kranh, and deputy director, Knut Rosandhaug, said in a statement.

“Australia has been an invaluable partner in this endeavor since the establishment of the Tribunal, for which the ECCC would like to express its deep gratitude,” they said.

The donation follows a $4.6 million contribution made by the government of Sweden that was announced last week.

MOST VIEWED

  • Reuters: US Embassy fired 32 staff members for sharing pornography

    The United States Embassy in Phnom Penh has fired 32 non-diplomatic staff members who were allegedly caught exchanging pornographic images and video, including of minors, according to the news agency Reuters. Four sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told Reuters the content was shared in

  • Our 2018 guide to spending Khmer New Year in Phnom Penh

    Khmer New Year festivities are upon us. For the next few days, travellers will be making their way to their home provinces to eat, celebrate, play traditional games and visit a pagoda with offerings. If you will be staying put in Phnom Penh for the

  • US think tank warns of China's 'ulterior motives'

    A US think tank on Tuesday warned that spreading Chinese investment in the Indo-Pacific follows a pattern of leveraging geopolitical influence at the expense of the nations receiving investment, including Cambodia. The report looks at a sample of 15 Chinese port development projects, noting that the

  • More than three tonnes of ivory reportedly bound for Cambodia seized in Mozambique

    A total of 3.5 tonnes of ivory reportedly bound for Cambodia was seized by authorities in Mozambique late last week, according to the NGO Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). CITES' information was based on a report from the