Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Authorities feud over seized vehicles



Authorities feud over seized vehicles

Authorities feud over seized vehicles

Tensions flared between military police, traffic police and local officials on Sunday over the impounding of cars alleged to have violated the Traffic Law.

Chroy Changvar District Governor Khlaing Huot and district military police chief Teng Chheang were incensed after claims that district traffic police officers freed two vehicles that had been confiscated by military police for driving on the wrong side of the street.

Chheang yesterday said the move by traffic police to release the cars “made him angry”.

“The military [police] helped confiscate vehicles that . . . violated the Traffic Law, and we handed them to traffic police, but traffic police let two of them free,” he said, adding that the owner of one of the vehicles had offered to spend a lot of money to get his car back, but military police refused to release it.

Hout declined to comment in detail, only saying he had “solved” the issue. However, he told local media yesterday that the decision to free the confiscated vehicles went “too far”.

Hout reportedly said he and other officials, including Interior Minister Sar Kheng, had worked hard to strengthen the Traffic Law and that the incident had spurred criticism by people who claimed the law was biased. “They dared do this behind my back,” he was quoted as saying.

But Siemp Kimchheang, deputy district police chief in charge of traffic police, said the governor had wrongly accused his staff of letting the two vehicles go, which wasn’t true according to his own probe.

He said a total of six cars had been confiscated, and although there were nine vehicles at the scene, that included those of relatives who had come to intervene.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • More than 5K workers rush from Thailand amid outbreak

    Following the recent outbreak of Covid-19 in Thailand’s Samut Sakhon province, Cambodian migrants working in Thailand were gripped by worry over the situation and many rushed to return to their homeland. Over the past 10 days, more than 5,000 migrant workers have returned from Thailand through

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could