Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Authorities urge public over military ceremony



Authorities urge public over military ceremony

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Cambodia's Army stands at the opening ceremony of Win Win Monument in late December last year. Heng Chivoan

Authorities urge public over military ceremony

The Army Headquarters will celebrate the 20th anniversary of its establishment on Thursday in a private military ceremony. In conjunction with this, a government spokesperson urged the public to be aware of the movement of troops and armoured vehicles, as well as fabricated reports.

The celebration will see Prime Minister Hun Sen and his wife preside over the event, described as a private meeting of the military, its spokesman Mao Phalla said. Phalla confirmed that hardware from more than 100 military units arrived at the Army Headquarters base on Saturday night.

Before the mobilisation, governor of Phnom Penh Khuong Sreng announced the movement of armoured vehicles from Kandal province’s Takhmao town to join in the event at the base in the capital’s Por Sen Chey district.

The announcement by Sreng said that after the event, the army vehicles would return to the headquarters of the Bodyguard Unit via the same route. He requested people not be concerned at seeing the movement of military hardware.

Phalla said this would be the first celebration of its founding after the Army Headquarters was established 20 years ago. He said the coming celebration would be in the form of a private meeting of army units without a public military parade.

“All types of hardware will be displayed including trucks, armoured vehicles and tanks. On Monday, the troops will rehearse a procession. It will be the first time in 20 years since the command was created [that this has happened],” Phalla said.

Ministry of National Defence spokesman Chhum Socheat could not be reached on Sunday for comment regarding the history of the army command’s establishment.

Government spokesman Phay Siphan said on Sunday that Phnom Penh Municipal Hall had already informed the public about the celebration in order to prevent any distortion of news as to the reason behind the movement of military equipment.

However, he said some people had fabricated news after the announcement of the upcoming military ceremony. He said the government is keeping an eye on those who invent such news and legal measures against them would follow.

“We have informed the public since the beginning that the mobilisation has a clear intention and location, but we can see that some people have been distributing fake news."

“The government is monitoring the situation in order to take legal measures,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting