Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Bad year ahead for dengue

Bad year ahead for dengue

Bad year ahead for dengue

Dengue fever cases in the Kingdom have increased by nearly 80 per cent compared with the same period last year, and the Cambodia National Malaria Center (CNM) said yesterday that it expects a continued surge throughout 2015.

From January until March, the CNM recorded 342 cases of dengue all over Cambodia – a 76 per cent increase from last year’s tally of 194 cases.

“There has been a pretty high increase, but there should be no cause for alarm . . . because the normal nature of the disease is that it increases every few years,” said CNM’s National Dengue Control Program manager, Dr Leng Rithea.

Dengue epidemics have been known to occur in Southeast Asia every two to three years and neighbouring countries have also seen recent upticks.

The increase, Rithea said, could also be attributed to Cambodians increasingly seeking medical attention due to growing knowledge of dengue prevention, as well as the improved quality of case management.

CNM is distributing 4,000 litres of mosquito spray all over the Kingdom as a response to the impending outbreak season, which coincides with the rainy season and typically peaks from August to September.

MOST VIEWED

  • Prince injured, wife dies after accident

    THE wife of former First Prime Minister Prince Norodom Ranariddh, Ouk Phalla, 39, died while the prince was “severely” injured following a road accident in Preah Sihanouk province’s Prey Nub district on Sunday morning, officials said. Rananriddh, who is also the president of the Funcinpec

  • Guards protest dismissals, reject claims of sharing naked photos of child

    Some 20 former security guards at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh protested on Tuesday against their dismissal. They accused their employers of falsely claiming they had viewed and shared child pornography from their mobile phones as grounds for their termination. In total, 32 personnel were dismissed

  • We’re going to Wisney World!

    More than 6,000 mostly Chinese attendees witnessed the inauguration ceremony of a $1 billion Sihanoukville resort project called Wisney World in the capital on Wednesday. The event on Koh Pich, attended by several senior Cambodian government officials, is a joint venture between China’s AMC International and

  • Funcinpec urges probe into deadly Preah Sihanouk accident

    THE Funcinpec party has urged the government, especially the Ministry of Interior, to investigate the traffic accident in Preah Sihanouk province which left Prince Norodom Ranariddh badly injured and his wife Ouk Phalla dead. Funcinpec Vice President You Hokry told reporters at Botum Votey pagoda,