Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Baker says teens were holiday help



Baker says teens were holiday help

Baker says teens were holiday help

Following widespread media reports of exploitation and physical abuse of minors, the owner of a bakery in the capital who had added 14 underage workers from Takeo province to his workforce in time for the Chinese Moon Festival claimed innocence.

Steung Meanchey I commune police chief Mao Savoeun said Thuok Kuong, 55, who owns Lay Keang Huor Bakery, hired the underage teenagers to work night shifts and allegedly used violence against one of the unidentified girls last week.

Savoeun said police were investigating after the girl lodged a complaint.

“We’re working on the case. The 14 teenagers, including the victim, have returned to their hometown,” he said, adding that the bakery owner is Cambodian, and not Chinese as some alleged.

Kuong said the teenagers had worked at his shop for four days, adding that the employment was temporary.

“I employed them because I needed more workers as the festival approached. They came to work only for a short period of time – about 24 days. They would return home after the festival,” he said.

He denied allegations of physical abuse.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants