Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Bandith appeals while on the lam



Bandith appeals while on the lam

Bandith appeals while on the lam

Former Bavet town governor Chhouk Bandith has appealed — from hiding — his conviction for shooting three women at a protest earlier last year, his lawyer said.

Bandith was found guilty of causing unintentional injuries by the Svay Rieng Provincial Court last month for the non-fatal shootings outside a garment factory in February last year.

His attorney, Sun Bunnarith, said that he had filed the appeal about two weeks ago, and that Bandith’s sentence of 18 months in prison and 38 million riel (around $9,500) in compensation to the victims was unfair.

“In the hearing, the court did not summon critical witnesses to corroborate, so this hearing was not comprehensive,” he said.

Neither Bandith nor his attorneys attended last month’s trial, where multiple witnesses, including a police officer, fingered the former governor as the shooter. Bandith is currently on the run and has yet to be arrested.

Victim Keo Near, who was awarded eight million riel in compensation, said that she had come to question the authorities’ commitment to finding and arresting Bandith.

“At first, I thought the justice for me was acceptable, but now I think I did not get justice,” she said.

“And I believe police know the whereabouts of Chhouk Bandith, but they do not dare to arrest him, and he has refused to be imprisoned and has appealed, calling [the decision] unjust.”

Am Sam Ath, an investigator for rights group Licadho, called the case another example of Cambodia’s culture of impunity and said the real injustice was that he was still free.

“If we talk about injustice, how are the three victims? Because he has not been in jail for even one minute, and during the trial the police officers clearly validated that he, Chhouk Bandith, was the shooter,” he said.

“Who has suffered the injustice?” he added.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants