Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Bandith, his victims appeal

Bandith, his victims appeal

Former Bavet town governor, Chhouk Bandith, smiles as he leaves the appeals court in Phnom Penh after a hearing in February last year
Former Bavet town governor, Chhouk Bandith, smiles as he leaves the appeals court in Phnom Penh after a hearing in February last year. Heng Chivoan

Bandith, his victims appeal

The Supreme Court yesterday refused to hear an appeal filed by three garment workers shot by disgraced Bavet town governor Chhouk Bandith during a 2012 demonstration, since Bandith’s lawyer did not turn up to court.

Bandith was sentenced to 18 months in prison in June last year for the Kaoway Sports factory shootings in Bavet, but he remains in hiding.

He was ordered to pay $9,500 in total compensation to the victims, but they are asking for the Supreme Court to change that to $45,000.

The lawyer for Bandith has also filed an appeal against his sentence, which was originally handed down by the Svay Rieng Provincial Court and later upheld by the Court of Appeal.

Yesterday’s court’s decision left his victims – Buot Chenda, Keo Near and Nuth Sakhorn – once again bemoaning the ability of Bandith’s powerful connections to thwart their quest for justice.

“If Chhouk Bandith did not appear but his lawyer did, we would hear the case. But he did not, so we cannot question [anyone],” explained presiding judge Kong Srim.

But Near, who was shot in the shoulder by Bandith, said the women could not accept that the lower courts had decided their lives “were worth just 38 million riel [$9,500]”.

“We took leave from work in the provinces in the hope of justice, but now the justice is still so damn far away because he is super rich and is always delaying things,” she said.

The women’s lawyer urged the court to expedite the hearing given the appeal had been filed over nine months ago.

“The defendant’s lawyer should not have used the pretext that he is busy,” Serey But Chakrya said.

Kay Visal, Bandith’s lawyer, declined to comment when reached, saying he was “driving a long way” and did not wish to speak on the phone.

Interior Ministry and police spokespeople could not be reached.

MOST VIEWED

  • Stock photo agencies cash in on Khmer Rouge tragedy
    Stock-photo companies selling images from S-21 raises ethics concerns

    A woman with short-cropped hair stares directly into the camera, her head cocked slightly to the side. On her lap is a sleeping infant just barely in the frame. The woman was the wife of a Khmer Rouge officer who fell out of favour, and

  • US think tank warns of China's 'ulterior motives'

    A US think tank on Tuesday warned that spreading Chinese investment in the Indo-Pacific follows a pattern of leveraging geopolitical influence at the expense of the nations receiving investment, including Cambodia. The report looks at a sample of 15 Chinese port development projects, noting that the

  • Defence Ministry denies weapons in smuggling case came from Cambodia

    After a Thai national was arrested last week for allegedly smuggling guns from Cambodia to Thailand, Cambodia's Defence Ministry has claimed the weapons seized during the arrest are not used in Cambodia, despite the fact that both types of rifle seized are commonly found in

  • More than three tonnes of ivory reportedly bound for Cambodia seized in Mozambique

    A total of 3.5 tonnes of ivory reportedly bound for Cambodia was seized by authorities in Mozambique late last week, according to the NGO Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). CITES' information was based on a report from the