Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Bandith lawyer ‘in dark’

Bandith lawyer ‘in dark’

Former Bavet town governor Chhouk Bandith (centre) exits Phnom Penh’s Appeal Court in March
Former Bavet town governor Chhouk Bandith (centre) exits Phnom Penh’s Appeal Court in March. HENG CHIVOAN

Bandith lawyer ‘in dark’

The lawyer of wanted fugitive Chhouk Bandith yesterday said key witnesses had not been summonsed to an appeal hearing of the sentencing of the powerful former Bavet town governor, scheduled for Thursday.

Defence lawyer Sun Bannarith told the Post he had found out about the hearing from the media and claimed not to know where his client was hiding out.

“I have yet to receive any information on the Appeal Court [hearing] besides getting questions from reporters.… I cannot say where my client is because he hasn’t told me where he is either,” he said.

The Svay Rieng Provincial Court in June ordered Bandith to serve an 18-month prison term and pay 38 million riel ($9,500) in compensation to three victims who were shot during a protest of thousands of workers outside the Kaoway Sports factory, a supplier to Puma in Svay Rieng’s Manhattan Special Economic Zone.

Though numerous witnesses confirmed they had seen Bandith shooting into the crowd of demonstrators on February 20 last year, he was never arrested.

Bannarith said the latest court proceedings would not be fair, because key witnesses had not been called to appear.

“The court did not summons key witnesses to clarify [what happened],” Bannarith said. “So this hearing is not comprehensive.”

Presiding judge Nget Sarath said that all of the summonses had already been issued for the hearing.

“We will hold the hearing as scheduled and nothing will be changed,” he said.

Keo Near, one of the women shot at the factory protest, said she would attend the hearing despite still suffering discomfort from her wounds.

“For justice to be served, arrest and put Chhouk Bandith in jail. Now we don’t know where Chhouk Bandith’s shadow is. Filing a case against the rich is extremely difficult,” she said.

Am Sam Ath, a senior investigator at rights group Licadho, accused authorities of not pursuing Bandith as they would a less-powerful defendant.

“If it was not Chhouk Bandith, he would have been jailed long ago,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Siem Reap drain canal now ‘mangrove’ promenade

    A more than half a kilometre long stretch of canal in Siem Reap has been covered and turned into a promenade to attract visitors, said Ly Rasmey, secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, on September 16. The new pedestrianised

  • Angkor wildlife, aquarium park still to open October

    The Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium complex about 30km southeast of Siem Reap town with initial total investment of more than $70 million is reportedly still on track for an end-October opening. The park is located on a 100ha plot along National Road 6 in Kbon village, Khchas

  • Final verdicts for Khmer Rouge leaders ‘vital’ for next generation

    Nearly a decade after the commencement of Case 002/02 against Khieu Samphan back in 2014, the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) is now set to deliver its final verdict for the former Khmer Rouge head of state. The Supreme Court Chamber of the ECCC,

  • Typhoon Noru brings flash floods – 16 dead

    An official warned that that the 16th typhoon of the season, Noru, had brought heavy rains to areas the Mekong River and flooded thousands of homes in the provinces bordering Thailand. As of September 27, the death toll from the flooding had risen to 16. National Committee

  • Defence minister reaffirms Kingdom’s staunch support for One-China policy

    Minister of National Defence General Tea Banh has reaffirmed Cambodia’s unwavering support for the One-China policy. Tea Banh was speaking at the September 20 ceremonial handover of 117 vehicles and other military equipment donated by China’s defence ministry, held at Phnom Chumreay International Military Training

  • Deaths due to ‘lifestyle’ diseases rise in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Health has called on people to pay closer attention to their health to protect themselves from non-communicable diseases (NCDs) which it said have caused high rates of deaths in the country. Ministry secretary of state York Sambath made the call at a