Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Bangladeshi, Nepalese charged with terrorism

Bangladeshi, Nepalese charged with terrorism

Bangladeshi, Nepalese charged with terrorism

A BANGLADESHI man and a Nepalese man have been charged with terrorism after the Australian, British and American embassies allegedly received letters in April identifying the two as members of the al-Qaeda terrorist group who were planning attacks on their facilities.

Phnom Penh Municipal Court deputy prosecutor Sok Roeun said Sunday that 42-year-old Bangladeshi man Rafiqu Leslami and 44-year-old Nepalese man TD Taudyal had been charged last week under the Kingdom’s antiterrorism law. If convicted, each could receive between five and 10 years in prison.

“Both men were ordered to serve pretrial detention last week on terrorism charges, pending further investigations,” Sok Roeun said.
Leslami, Sok Roeun said, is facing additional charges for crossing into Cambodia without a passport.

Two other Nepalese men named in the letter – both “local businessmen” – were questioned during the investigation but subsequently released, Sok Roeun added.

National Police spokesman Kirt Chantharith could not be reached for comment on Sunday, though he said last week that the letter was a hoax related to a business dispute rather than part of a legitimate plot.

“During our monthlong investigation, we realised that the person who wrote the anonymous letter to the embassies accusing the four men of terrorism was actually just jealous that their restaurants were doing good business,” Kirt Chantharith said.

Sok Roeun said police are now hunting for an additional Nepalese suspect who is believed to have written the letter naming the other four men.

One of the men named in the letter, who was questioned and subsequently released, said Sunday that he had been very surprised to learn that he had been implicated in the case.

“I didn’t know at all about the plan for destroying the embassies,” said the man, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

“I have told police officials that I was not involved with members of al-Qaeda and I would not do such a foolish thing.”

He said he had been interrogated along with a friend and fellow restaurateur who had also been released.

He added that he plans to continue to run his business “in a legal way”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Investors’ $14.4M projects approved

    New investments from local and foreign sources continue to pour into Cambodia despite the Covid-19 pandemic remaining a lingering threat to regional and global economies. This comes as the Kingdom’s gross domestic product (GDP) is expected to contract between one and 2.9 per cent this

  • NagaWorld casinos set to reopen, schools to follow

    NAGACORP Ltd has requested that it be allowed to reopen its NagaWorld integrated resorts in Phnom Penh after the government recently approved casinos to operate again, provided they follow Covid-19 prevention measures set by the Ministry of Health. Mey Vann, the director-general of the Ministry

  • Rubber exports stretch 17%

    Cambodia exported 97,175 tonnes of natural rubber in the first five months of this year, surging 17 per cent compared to the same period last year as the Covid-19 pandemic stretches on, Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries official Khuong Phalla told The Post on Thursday. Phalla,

  • ASEM supports Kingdom’s proposal to postpone meeting amid Covid

    The 13th Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM13) scheduled to be held in Cambodia in November has been postponed until mid-2021 due to the Covid-19 pandemic, a Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation press statement released on Saturday said. The decision was made during a two-day meeting

  • Coffee maker roasted for producing fake product

    The Ministry of Interior’s Counter Counterfeit Committee will send a suspect to court on Monday after she allegedly roasted coffee mixed with soybeans and other ingredients, creating a product which could pose a high risk to consumers’ health. On the afternoon of July 2, the

  • Cash handout programme 80% complete

    Minister of Social Affairs, Veterans and Youth Rehabilitation Vong Soth confirmed on Thursday that the implementation of the Cash Transfer Programme For Poor and Vulnerable Households During Covid-19 had been implemented for more than 80% of the over 560,000 families. The programme was introduced one week ago.

  • Cambodia armed with money laundering laws

    Money laundering will now carry a penalty of up to five years in prison while those convicted of financing terrorists will be jailed for up to 20 years, according to new laws promulgated by King Norodom Sihamoni and seen by The Post on Thursday. Comprising nine

  • Where is Cambodia’s exit strategy that can save the economy?

    With the prospect of being slammed by a double whammy, the government is working on an economic recovery plan to deliver it from Covid-19 and the EU’s partial withdrawal of the Everything But Arms scheme in the next two to three years Cambodia is

  • Schools to be reopened in ‘three stages’

    With guidance from Prime Minister Hun Sen, the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, is in the process of reopening schools in three stages. But no timeline has been set, ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha said on Thursday. Soveacha said the first stage will be to

  • Kingdom, UN discuss rights

    A year after Cambodia received 198 recommendations from UN member countries, the UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR-Cambodia) met with the Cambodia Human Rights Committee (CHRC) to discuss following-up on the Kingdom’s third cycle of the Universal Periodic Review (UPR) and