Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Banh: Oknha title or position



Banh: Oknha title or position

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of National Defense Tea Banh has said all officials holding thehonourific Oknha must choose to maintain the title or their position in the military framework. Heng Chivoan

Banh: Oknha title or position

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of National Defence Tea Banh has ordered all institutions under the ministry’s supervision to collect data of officials holding the honorific Oknha.

Speaking during the inauguration of a new military base in Sen Sok district on Tuesday, Banh said once the data had been compiled, the ministry would set a deadline for the officials to choose between the honorific and their position within the military framework.

“Let me make this clear – all the heads of each institution must collect the data more quickly. Be careful and do it as quickly as possible to ensure a speedy reform.

“Of course, I understand that some of those who hold the title have contributed a lot to national development, to such an extent that they are bestowed with the honorific Oknha.

“However, from now on, only one title can be kept. If you wish to maintain the honorific Oknha, you must forfeit your position in the military framework,” he said.

The ministry’s directive came after Prime Minister Hun Sen raised the issue during the ruling Cambodian People’s Party’s Central Committee meeting last month.

At the time Banh requested an ultimatum for officials with the two titles to decide to avoid upsetting them.

“We want to agree before making it official. If we just do it without any consultation, some of them could feel frustrated,” he said.

Senior national defence ministry officials said it had no specific figures for those with the two titles.

However, it said that in the framework of the General Command of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces (RCAF), 61 officials were holding the title Oknha.

Among them, 45 had decided to forfeit the title while 16 others chose to maintain it and agreed to resign from the military framework.

RCAF General Command spokesman Thong Solimo said he could not provide exact figures while a meeting with minister Banh was pending before a decision is made.

“We have already prepared data, there is no change. The 61 RCAF General Command officials will soon meet directly with Samdech Tea Banh,” he said.

Solimo said after the officials choose between the two titles, the government would request a Royal Decree terminating either one.

Official figures made available to the public said there were 704 Oknhas as of February 2014. A newly amended prakas states that one must make at least $500,000 in donations for national development before the honorific is bestowed through a Royal Decree.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting