Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Banned workshop carries on

Banned workshop carries on

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A policeman scribes notes in Preah Vihear province yesterday morning after shutting down a community forum on land rights. Supplied

Banned workshop carries on

Adhoc officials in Preah Vihear province yesterday went ahead with a civil and human rights training program, despite being told by local authorities to halt the two-day workshop.

Sok Sophal, police chief of Tbeng I commune in Sangkum Thmei district, said he received an order from the district governor to stop the training because organisers didn’t have proper documentation indicating provincial approval, the date of the event and names of speakers.

“I just did as I was commanded to do,” he said, adding that police didn’t force the organisers to stop the event after informing them it was forbidden. “When we got there, we just told them they needed to stop . . . I did not use any violence.”

Ros Heng, Sangkum Thmei district governor, said officials didn’t want to ban Adhoc from hosting the event, but the organisation lacked the necessary paperwork. This is the second time this year that Adhoc was hosting such training in the same commune, he added.

“They need to have proper documents with them,” he said. “I don’t know whether Adhoc is helping our government and the people, or [whether] it’s trying to cause trouble with authorities.”

Authorities have long been accused of breaking up similar gatherings for political reasons, and Lor Chan, provincial coordinator for Adhoc, said he had submitted a request to provincial authorities in February to be allowed to conduct various trainings over the course of the year.

His request was approved in March. Two commune police officers sat through the training in the morning, and one in the afternoon, Chan said.

“I think the district governor is . . . intimidating the communities and violating their rights, because they have the right to attend any training,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM imposes nationwide Covid restrictions, curfew over Delta scare

    Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28 instructed the municipal and provincial authorities nationwide to strictly enforce Covid-19 measures including curfew for two weeks from July 29 midnight through August 12 to stem the new coronavirus Delta variant. The instruction came shortly after he issued a directive

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Provinces on Thai borders put in lockdown amid Delta fears

    The government has decided to place several border provinces in lockdown for two weeks in a bid to prevent the new coronavirus Delta variant spreading further into community. According a directive signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28, the provinces include Koh Kong,

  • Visa A holders get to quarantine at Himawari Hotel

    The Ministry of Health has permitted foreign diplomats, UN and International NGO officials to undergo quarantine at Himawari Hotel in the capital in case they do not have a separate place suitable for this purpose, but the government would not be responsible for the expenses.

  • Jabs for kids bring hope for school reopenings

    Cambodia is tentatively planning to reopen schools – at least at the secondary level – when the vaccination of children aged 12-17 is completed, even though daily transmissions and deaths in other age groups remain high. Schools across the country have been suspended since March 20, one month

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four