Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Battambang recount shot down by council

Battambang recount shot down by council

Battambang recount shot down by council

The Constitutional Council yesterday rejected the opposition’s request for a recount of ballots in Battambang province, ruling that the National Election Committee had been correct in its decision to throw out the complaint in the first place.

Over the course of a two-hour hearing, Cambodia National Rescue Party representatives made the case that significant irregularities had taken place in 233 Battambang polling stations, while the NEC’s Mean Satik countered that problems with the voter list did not rise to the level of systematic flaws.

After some three hours of deliberation, the council sided with Satik.

“Every decision of the Constitutional Council has an influence on the whole nation. In Battambang there are 35,000 duplicate names. Is this a technical mistake or intentional?” CNRP lawyer Choung Choungy asked the council, before answering his own question. “This is a systematic arrangement.”

Choungy went on to argue that despite the fact that the CNRP had asked for 117 Safety Packages A to be opened and examined, the NEC had examined only eight. Observers at the investigation of the eight packages also reported at the time that polling place documents weren’t cross-checked with those held by parties, even when the tallies differed.

The NEC’s Satik, however, argued that no country is able to totally eradicate duplicate names from its polls.

“We work on technical matters, but this mistake is an individual matter that is punished according to the law,” Satik said.

In the end, noting that Battambang experienced “no force majeure, no violence and no rebellion”, Constitutional Council president Ek Sam Ol announced that “the decision of the National Election Committee dated 19 August 2013 was legal”.

Speaking after the hearing, opposition representative Suon Chamroeun said that “this shows the real stance, that the highest body of law is not neutral or independent”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • Sam Rainsy, government group set to clash at IPU Geneva meet?

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy has been invited to speak at the General Assembly of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) in Geneva, according to a former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) lawmaker. A government delegation is also set to attend the meeting, a National Assembly press release