Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Battambang teenager is year’s 48th victim of lightning



Battambang teenager is year’s 48th victim of lightning

Lightning appears over the National Assembly in May this year in Phnom Penh.
Lightning appears over the National Assembly in May this year in Phnom Penh. Pha Lina

Battambang teenager is year’s 48th victim of lightning

A 14-year-old boy from Battambang was struck and killed by lightning in Sangke district on Tuesday afternoon as he was walking to tend to his parents’ rice field with his three siblings, local authorities said yesterday.

Ran Saroeut, O’Dambang II commune police chief, identified the victim as Chhoem Phearun, from Tuol Lvieng village. “At the site, we found the boy’s body with burn marks, and his hair was burned as well. The body was [laying] on its chest in the rice field,” he said.

The death is the 48th this year, as of yesterday, said Keo Vy, spokesman for the National Committee for Disaster Management.

Of those victims, 14 were women. Forty-nine people have suffered nonfatal injuries from lightning strikes, while 50 head of cattle have been killed.

He urged caution as lightning will only increase up to the end of the rainy season in early November.

According to National Committee for Disaster Management statistics, as of the end of May, weather-related deaths and injuries were down from last year, with 43 deaths and 79 injuries, compared to 47 deaths and 154 injuries during the same period in 2016.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants