An administrative building at Roka referral hospital in Battambang province burned down Sunday night, destroying the hospital’s records and vaccines.
No one was hurt in the blaze, but the fire caused about $50,000 in damage to the hospital, located in Sangke district’s Roka commune, according to hospital chief Eng Samnang.
Samnang said the fire destroyed all of the hospital’s vaccines, some lab equipment and patient records, which were stored in the old concrete building.
Rokar commune deputy police chief Mom Sort said the fire was caused by a wire malfunction of a cooler containing vaccines. Roughly 10 patients and nurses who were in the hospital Sunday night said they heard an explosion from the building and saw flames, and escaped without any injuries, according to Sort.
Health officials from Battambang plan to send replacement vaccines and some lab equipment to the hospital tomorrow.
“Although an important building is burnt, it does not disturb the provision of treatment services to the patients and people,” said Sou Sanit, deputy director of Battambang provincial health department.