Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Bavet casino robbers make off with US$50K

Bavet casino robbers make off with US$50K

Bavet casino robbers make off with US$50K

Police in Svay Rieng arrested two suspects yester­day on allegations of armed robbery after they allegedly held up a casino money changer at gun point and absconded with more than $50,000.

Keo Kong, Bavet town police chief, confirmed that the pair was being questioned for the Saturday night robbery near the Crown Casino but declined to com­­ment further.

“The money which was taken has not yet been found and police con­­tinue questioning the sus­pects,” Kong told the Post. A police official, who asked not to be named said that the victim, business­woman Ly Kuong Huong, w­­as held up as she was driving her motorbike back home alone and sus­tained injuries after being hit in the head with the butt of a gun.

To contact the reporter on this story: Lieng Sarith at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not