Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Bavet SEZ unequipped to treat its wastewater: ministry

Bavet SEZ unequipped to treat its wastewater: ministry

A water treatment at the Manhattan Special Economic Zone that environmental officials recently deemed inadequate. Photo supplied
A water treatment at the Manhattan Special Economic Zone that environmental officials recently deemed inadequate. Photo supplied

Bavet SEZ unequipped to treat its wastewater: ministry

The Ministry of Environment said yesterday that a recently constructed water-treatment facility at the Manhattan Special Economic Zone in Svay Rieng is unable to deal with most of the polluted water generated by factories at the site, and that 70 per cent was being dumped untreated.

The industrial park in Bavet town has been at the centre of complaints from villagers, who accuse the firm of discharging untreated water into a canal they use.

Chea Sina, director at the ministry’s provincial office, said an inspection of the treatment plant found it could not process the more than 10,000 cubic metres of polluted water released every day by factories.

The inspection also showed that most of the wastewater had no way of getting to the treatment facility and was instead being dumped directly into the surroundings.

“We have seen that only 30 per cent of the waste reached their treatment facility, while 70 per cent was entering the canal,” Sina said.

On August 23, the industrial park was sent a letter ordering that all wastewater be treated, and stating that a second facility was needed. The company told the ministry it would be built by December.

Officials at the Manhattan SEZ could not be reached for comment, but the firm’s CEO Larry Kao said last month that individual factories were also responsible for treating their wastewater.

MOST VIEWED

  • Sihanoukville building collapse death toll rises to 19

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng said on Sunday that the government will act against those responsible for the collapse of a seven-storey building in Sihanoukville on Saturday, which resulted in 19 dead and 24 injured as of Sunday evening. Sar Kheng said three Chinese nationals and one

  • Gov’t to probe Chinese exports to US via Sihanoukville

    The government is investigating allegations that Chinese companies are using Chinese-owned special economic zones in Cambodia to export goods to the US and avoid tariffs, said Ministry of Commerce spokesman Seang Thay. The move comes after US embassy spokesman Arend Zwartjes said the US had

  • Banh: The Khmer Rouge worse than sanctions and pressure

    Minister of National Defence Tea Banh said on Thursday that having sanctions and external pressure placed on Cambodia was not worse than life under the brutal Khmer Rouge regime. Tea Banh, who is also deputy prime minister, was speaking to military and ruling party officials

  • Funcinpec ‘set to sell their headquarters’, says source

    An anonymous source from Funcinpec said acting president Prince Norodom Chakravuth had held a meeting with other officials to discuss selling several of the party headquarters across the country while the party president Prince Norodom Ranariddh receives medical treatment at the Royal Phnom Penh Hospital