Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Beach structures to be razed



Beach structures to be razed

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Structures seen along Tabarang Beach in Preah Sihanouk province in 2019. Hong Menea

Beach structures to be razed

The Preah Sihanouk Provincial Administration has announced that all illegal structures which have been constructed on public land at Poy Yeami and Tabarang beaches in Keo Phos commune’s Ruessei II village of Stung Hav district must be dismantled by February 28.

In their recent notice, the provincial administration said: “Anyone who does not dismantle the buildings or structures they have erected there will face disciplinary and legal action. We will not offer any compensation for any damage to materials or loss of property that comes as a result of non-compliance with these instructions.”

The notice said that some people who are living and doing business there are occupying public pavements and that their activities have a detrimental impact on the environment, sanitation, public order and beauty of the beaches.

Stung Hav district governor Chhay Sokunda told The Post that district authorities had previously informed the people who have businesses in that area that it was not lawful but they did not cooperate.

This led to the district authorities asking for permission from the provincial administration to once again issue a warning to them.

“Vendors with kiosks are okay, but not concrete structures with accommodations. These facilities cannot be allowed.

“We are now informing people that they must dismantle them so that we can manage and protect the beaches properly. People cannot encroach on the beaches without it leading to difficulties in developing them later.

“If we don’t take action within a year the beaches will be crowded with construction. Now, we don’t have enough funds yet for development of the area.

“But we need to protect the beaches and maintain legal control over them so that later when we have a development budget there isn’t a land controversy preventing us from going forward there,” he said.

Sokunda added that at least two families had built concrete structures but he was not sure how many stalls were there.

Cheap Sotheary, the provincial coordinator for rights group Adhoc, supported the move but called on the authorities to demarcate which coastal areas are to be kept clear for tourists and which areas the vendors are allowed to operate in to avoid future conflicts. She was also worried about the environmental impact from dismantling the structures.

“I’ve seen in the past that after structures were dismantled people would [then] dispose of their rubbish all over the place. So, if we allow them to sell items there then they should take part in cleaning it up,” she said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting