Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Beaten MPs to seek stiffer sentencing for Bodyguard Unit attackers

Beaten MPs to seek stiffer sentencing for Bodyguard Unit attackers

Sot Vanny (left) and Mao Hoeun (right), pictured appearing at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court in April for beating two CNRP lawmakers.
Sot Vanny (left) and Mao Hoeun (right), pictured appearing at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court in April for beating two CNRP lawmakers. Pha Lina

Beaten MPs to seek stiffer sentencing for Bodyguard Unit attackers

The lawyer for two opposition lawmakers brutally beaten by at least 16 men outside the National Assembly last year will next week file an appeal against the largely suspended sentence given to three of the attackers.

Soldiers Mao Hoeung, Sut Vanny and Chhay Sarith were sentenced to four years in prison over the brutal attack on CNRP lawmakers Kong Saphea and Nhay Chamroeun, though all but a year was suspended. Counting time already served, the trio will be out in five months.

Attorney Sam Sokong said he would lodge documents with the Appeal Court and the Bar Association of the Kingdom of Cambodia calling for a stiffer penalty for the three, who are members of the prime minister’s Bodyguard Unit.

He said the filing would also reference the recent seven-year sentence handed to three opposition members for their alleged role in a 2014 post-election protest that turned violent. “If we compare the action and punishment, they are not consistent,” Sokong said, suggesting a term of between six and seven years.

Chamroeun, who required surgery for his injuries, yesterday called his attackers’ sentence “a joke”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Virus tops 84 with new cases in S’ville

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and it highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • Kingdom’s virus toll tops 84, Cambodians in Thailand rush home

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and its highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • Mysterious century-old structure found at bottom of Angkor pond

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) has discovered a mysterious 1,000-year-old structure of a wooden building at the bottom of a pond after the Angkor Wat temple’s conservation team completed restoring its northern cave. The deputy director at ANA’s Angkor International Research and Documentation

  • NBC calls for cashless payments

    The National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) has urged government ministries, financial institutions and the public to conduct cashless payments via electronic systems where possible to combat the spread of Covid-19. “To contribute to the prevention of Covid-19, the National Bank of Cambodia encourages financial institutions

  • CEO held for fraud in Siem Reap

    Over 200 individuals gathered in front of the Siem Reap Provincial Court last week to ask that Dim Suonnath, the CEO of a real estate company being held for fraud, take responsibility for compensating some 2,000 residents who invested with him. The request was denied. Suonnath responded

  • Ministry calls for home schooling

    Minister of Education, Youth and Sport, Hang Chuon Naron appealed to parents of students to provide home education in a proper environment and help them obtain more learning materials. The ministry also allowed schools to take a premature vacation after several people tested positive for