Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Beta app for NEC released

Beta app for NEC released

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A screenshot of NEC app, called CamNEC News was stored in Google's Play Store.

Beta app for NEC released

The National Election Committee (NEC) on Wednesday announced that a beta version of its app has been released to disseminate election news to the public and reduce confusion over fake reports.

NEC spokesman Hang Puthea said the app, called CamNEC News, could be downloaded immediately to receive up-to-date reports, adding that, “so far some news is fake and confusing the public.

“We want the people to go to vote and respect the law. Therefore the NEC needs to use its means to send information and allow users to receive [information] directly from us.”

The app will serve as a permanent communication tool for the NEC. It will employ 15 people and operate under an existing budget.

Local election watchdog Comfrel’s monitoring coordinator Korn Savang said employing new technology to disseminate information about the NEC was something that civil society groups had been encouraging for some time.

“We are very surprised that for this national elections the NEC has put so much effort into using new technology [to inform] people,” Savang said. “We hope 2018 will be a model for other elections.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Hundreds of children in hospital with dengue

    A serious dengue fever epidemic is affecting Cambodia, with nearly 600 children hospitalised in the five Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals on Monday alone, a statement posted on the Kantha Bopha Foundation’s official Facebook page said on Wednesday. Because Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals provide

  • Gov’t to probe Chinese exports to US via Sihanoukville

    The government is investigating allegations that Chinese companies are using Chinese-owned special economic zones in Cambodia to export goods to the US and avoid tariffs, said Ministry of Commerce spokesman Seang Thay. The move comes after US embassy spokesman Arend Zwartjes said the US had

  • Sihanoukville building collapse death toll rises to 19

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng said on Sunday that the government will act against those responsible for the collapse of a seven-storey building in Sihanoukville on Saturday, which resulted in 19 dead and 24 injured as of Sunday evening. Sar Kheng said three Chinese nationals and one

  • Banh: The Khmer Rouge worse than sanctions and pressure

    Minister of National Defence Tea Banh said on Thursday that having sanctions and external pressure placed on Cambodia was not worse than life under the brutal Khmer Rouge regime. Tea Banh, who is also deputy prime minister, was speaking to military and ruling party officials