Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Blinded peacekeeper seeking disability pay



Blinded peacekeeper seeking disability pay

UN Peacekeepers leave Phnom Penh International Airport for placement earlier this year.
UN Peacekeepers leave Phnom Penh International Airport for placement earlier this year. Vireak Mai

Blinded peacekeeper seeking disability pay

A former UN peacekeeper disabled while serving in Mali has requested help from the government and the United Nations to secure adequate compensation.

Pea Sophorn, 35, penned a letter dated December 11 to Claire Van der Vaeren, the UN resident coordinator for Cambodia, stating his service as a medic in Mali in 2014 where he fell ill from food poisoning, causing blindness.

Repatriated in September 2014, Sophon wrote that he sold all his property to pay for treatment.

“Now I am hopeless, since I lost everything”, he said, pleading for the UN to provide redress.

Speaking yesterday, Sophon said the UN had not yet replied but added that Sem Sovanny – the general director of the National Centre for Peacekeeping Forces (NPMEC) – offered 1 million riel (about $250) and some food.

“I do not know what to do if the government is poor . . . the UN should take the responsibility because the accident happened when I was fulfilling my duty in the UN mandate,” he said.

NPMEC deputy director-general Phal Samorn said the government had attended to Sophon’s case and is preparing a request to the UN. Samorn also confirmed that Sophon is receiving his monthly army disability salary.

In an email yesterday, Van der Vaeren’s office confirmed receipt of Sophon’s letter and said a meeting with the NPMEC is scheduled for next week.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese