Responding to a new plan put forward by members of the Boeung Kak community and NGOs last month, Phnom Penh Municipal Hall announced on Friday that it had drawn up a list of all families who remain excluded from the 12.44 hectares Prime Minister Hun Sen allotted the community in 2011.
Municipal Hall spokesman Long Dimanche said officials were preparing to send the list to Phnom Penh governor Pa Socheatvong for approval.
“We do not yet know the next step,” he said. “It has been very difficult to verify the numbers.”
City Hall’s list includes 73 families, but community members have previously stated that only 63 families were excluded.
To resolve this discrepancy, community representative Tep Vanny said municipal officials should post the new list in each village involved in the dispute.
“This will let the villagers verify [the list] together to avoid them accusing each other of increasing their number of families,” she said.
She added that some of the newly listed families had never been seen protesting with the rest of the community.
“But we still appeal to the authorities to find a solution for them, just in case they are real victims,” she said.
Nget Khun, 72, one of the villagers waiting for land, was optimistic that municipal officials were seeking a solution.
“But if this continues, I will protest until I die,” she said.