Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Boeung Kak villagers, city officials talking titles

Boeung Kak villagers, city officials talking titles

Boeung Kak villagers, city officials talking titles

5 Boeung kak

Local authorities met with Boeung Kak community members yesterday to register villagers left out of the oft-criticised resettlement scheme as a first step to providing them with titles and onsite housing.

More than 10 officials including police, commune and village chiefs as well as representatives of the Land Management Ministry and City Hall made up the two teams who went to the disputed area yesterday.

“We will work on this until it is completed,” said En Saphorn, Srah Chak deputy chief and one of the members of the working group. According to Saphorn, the group has been able to prepare land certificates for 20 families already.

Both residents and NGOs who have long fought City Hall over the exclusion of scores of families from a 12.44-hectare on-site resettlement plot said yesterday that they were thrilled to see the first concrete action since the site was proposed in 2011.

“I am so happy now,” said Boeung Kak representative Chan Puthisak.

“I believe that the officials will put us into the 12.44 hectares and give all 60 families land certificates,” he said.

In May, newly installed Phnom Penh Governor Pa Socheatvong promised to resolve the long-standing Boeung Kak lake land dispute, as well as that of Borei Keila, and quickly met with representatives in an unprecedented move.

“It’s better than before. And I think this latest action is a good sign that will lead to the conclusion of the land disputes in this area,” said Ee Sarom, programs coordinator at urban housing NGO Sahmakum Teang Tnaut.

But he and others said they would continue to closely monitor the situation and wouldn’t pull back until residents had been successfully settled.

Last week, Boeung Kak villagers were joined by protesters from Borei Keila and Thmor Kol in blocking the capital’s Monivong Boulevard as they demanded solutions to their respective land disputes. They were dispersed with a powerful water cannon, which knocked one woman unconscious.

MOST VIEWED

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong