Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Bomber spouse calls for help

Bomber spouse calls for help

Bomber spouse calls for help

A man convicted for his role in an attempt to bomb the Cambodian-Vietnamese Friendship monument in July 2007 has requested help from the local rights group Licadho as he seeks to revive a dormant appeal, a staff investigator said today.

Chheng Sophors, investigator for Licadho, said today he received a letter penned from Prey Sar prison by Kem Toeun, 56, through the man’s wife.

He said Licadho would study the case, but had not yet determined how it would help.

“We will check the case again and study legal procedure to see what we can possibly do to help him or find lawyers for him,” Chheng Sophors said.

Phong Sokhoeun, 45, said today her husband, Kem Toeum, was sentenced wrongly to 16 years in prison, and claimed he did not even know the four co-conspirators.

“When he was arrested on July 30, 2007, police told our family that they were taking him to find a job as a house security guard, which would earn US$80 per month, so we agreed,” she said.

“It’s unjust. He was just a moto driver and didn’t know how to make a bomb.”

Kem Toeum, Sok Kimsovath, Soeun Vy, Lim Phen and Soeun Khan alias Kim Sophat, all Khmer Kampuchea Krom, were sentenced to between 15 and 17 years in prison for planting three home-made bombs near the Cambodian-Vietnamese Friendship monument on July 29.

One of the bombs, which were made with a mixture of TNT and fertilizer, exploded but explosive experts defused the two others and no one was injured.

Moeun Sovann, a former lawyer for the Cambodian Defenders Project who defended the men in Phnom Penh Municipal Court, said today he was no longer representing them and the Appeal Court was unable to hear the case because “now they have no lawyers”.

He and another attorney filed an appeal in early 2009, he said.

“It is a criminal case which requires them to have defence lawyers,” Moeun Sovann said.

Pann Kin Lean, prosecutor at the Appeal Court, said he did not know whether the bomb plot case had been heard.

MOST VIEWED

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong