Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Book on waste management plan out soon



Book on waste management plan out soon

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Trash bags piled up in front of houses in Phnom Penh's Chamkarmon district, Pshar Doeum Thkov commune on February 22, 2021. Hean Rangsey

Book on waste management plan out soon

The Phnom Penh Municipal Hall will publish a pamphlet introducing the new waste management system that is coming to the capital and print enough for distribution to the more than 400,000 households obliged to pay the waste collection fee.

This will be done in collaboration with the three companies licensed to handle waste management in different parts of the city.

The municipal administration held a ceremony to mark the start of the new system on February 5, along with the three companies that won the bidding for the contracts to provide the city with solid waste collection and transportation services.

The three companies include Cintri Cambodia which is now working in partnership with Everbright China; Singapore-based 800 Super Waste Management Pte Ltd, in cooperation with local firm Global Action for Environment Awareness Plc (GAEA); and China’s Mizuda Group Co Ltd.

According to a senior official at the municipal hall who asked not to be named, the three companies only provide waste collection and transportation services. The administration and fee collection will be done by the Phnom Penh autonomous excise solid waste management authority.

The official said residents will be able to use an app to check their billing or service schedule and even pay the service fees via the app.

In order to encourage customers to begin using this new and more convenient system, the municipal administration is planning to distribute pamphlets with information and instructions on how it all works.

“The municipal hall will print instructional pamphlets for distribution to each household – or at least the 400,000 of them or so that are obliged to pay the waste collection service fees. It will also inform them about waste disposal services and how to separate the waste for processing.

“With the new management system, we require people to separate their rubbish into wet and dry waste,” he said.

Andrew Durke, a member of the board of GAEA, said the company and their partners are pleased to have the opportunity to help improve waste management in the capital.

“Phnom Penh is a very crowded and fast-growing city. And as people’s incomes continue to increase here, that leads to more consumption and it therefore leads to more waste generation. Providing effective waste collection services on a road full of vehicles and a growing population is a challenge,” he said.

Cintri Cambodia declined to comment. But the firm’s director, Seng Savy, had previously told The Post that his company would abide by the terms and conditions of the contract.

Mizuda Group did not respond to requests for comment.

Affiliated Network for Social Accountability executive director San Chey said there were two important factors to consider in the management of the city’s waste services.

He said the first factor was that some households are fulfilling their obligations while some are not in terms of storing waste properly and paying the required fees.

As for the second factor, Chey said the authorities must collect data from all properties. He said it was possible that workers fail to collect waste from their place, prompting them to dispose of waste in public place.

“We’ve seen that some houses or Borei [gated residential community] are already full of people, so the question is why they do not dump their rubbish at their place and instead putting the waste along the street.

Ask if this is their mistake or as systematic mistake. This is also a problem that needs to be addressed,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and