Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Border demarcation effort sped up

Border demarcation effort sped up

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Cambodian foreign ministry secretary of state Soeung Rathchavy speaks during a virtual meeting with her Vietnamese counterpart during the 7th Political Consultations between Cambodia and Vietnam on Thursday. FOREIGN MINISTRY

Border demarcation effort sped up

Cambodia and Vietnam have committed to expediting discussions intended to bring about a mutually acceptable solution regarding the remaining 16 per cent of the Cambodia-Vietnam border that lacks official demarcation and to strengthen coordination at the border to stop criminal offences like drugs and human trafficking, among others.

The commitment was made during a video conference between Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation secretary of state Soeung Rathchavy and Vietnamese vice-minister of Foreign Affairs Nguyen Quoc Dung.

The October 21 video conference marked the 7th political consultations between the two countries since the fall of the Khmer Rouge genocidal regime.

According to the foreign ministry’s press statement released on October 24, the two sides had discussed a wide ranges of issues related to politics as well as security, response to the Covid-19 pandemic, trade and investment, education and culture, tourism, energy, connectivity and collaboration between the two foreign ministries.

“With regard to border cooperation, both sides welcomed the official ceremony to exchange the instruments of ratification of the two important legal documents to record the completion of the 84 per cent of the land boundary demarcation and marker planting between the two countries.

“They agreed to expedite the discussions to find a mutually acceptable solution for the 16 per cent remaining of undemarcated land boundary,” the press statement said.

In August of last year, Cambodia and Vietnam formally exchanged border maps. The two countries said agreement on the border is 84 per cent complete, leaving roughly 16 per cent of the 1,270km border to be finalised and have markers put in place.

The foreign ministry said Vietnam had also expressed support for Cambodia with the latter set to host the 13th ASEM summit on November 25-26 and to take over the ASEAN chairmanship next year.

“Both countries agreed to designate the Year 2022 as “Cambodia-Vietnam Friendship Year”. They also exchanged ideas on commemorative activities to jointly celebrate the milestone achievements of Cambodia-Vietnam relations,” the ministry said.

According to the press statement, bilateral trade between Cambodia and Vietnam had progressed positively despite the prolonged economic difficulties caused by the pandemic. It said the trade volume increased from $5.26 billion in 2019 to $5.33 billion in 2020, and in just seven months this year the trade volume had already reached $6.03 billion.

MOST VIEWED

  • Construction begins on $1.5B Kampot seaport

    The International Multi-Purpose Logistics and Port Centre, principally invested by Kampot Logistics and Port Co Ltd and projected to cost $1.5 billion, has officially broken ground in Bokor town, Kampot province. The multi-purpose logistics and port centre, located in Prek Tnaot commune, will be built on

  • Cambodia eyes key role in electronics, auto hubs in SEA

    Two roadmaps, part of the LDC’s economic diversification plan, were designed to see it through its migration process, but experts say the journey might be arduous, particularly in the presence of two established hubs in the region By 2028, Cambodia hopes to have exited the

  • Hun Neng, lawmaker and PM’s brother, passes away aged 72

    Hun Neng, chairman of the 4th Commission of the National Assembly, has passed away from heart disease at the age of 72 on the afternoon of May 5, according to the Ministry of Information. Hun Neng is the older brother of Prime Minister Hun Sen, and was

  • CCC team off on US business trip

    The Kingdom’s leading economists and private sector representatives have called on the US to renew its tax preferential status for Cambodian exports, as a Cambodia Chamber of Commerce (CCC) delegation departed for a weeklong business visit to the US, where they will meet with

  • PM meets with US business giants

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has met with a number of major US companies who have expressed interest in investing in Cambodia, in a meeting convened by the US-ASEAN Business Council (US-ABC). A delegation of companies – including Amazon, Meta, Chevron, ConocoPhillips, ExxonMobil, Ford, Visa and Pernod

  • Massive stingrays may live in Mekong’s deep pools

    US scientists have suggested that unexplored deep pools in the Mekong River in an area of Stung Treng could potentially be home to significant populations of giant freshwater stingrays, one of the world’s largest freshwater fish species. This comes as a fisherman hooked a 180