Six Kratie province residents returned to Cambodia on Saturday two days after Laotian soldiers allegedly fired shots at the group for trespassing, wounding one man in the process. Sun Ban, a battalion commander with the Cambodian military, said a group of nine Cambodians entered Laos on January 20 from Stung Treng province’s Siem Bang district. That evening, he said, Laotian soldiers fired at the group, which separated into two groups as they fled. “The six people are safe now, but being afraid of gunshots from the Laos military, they fled into the forest,” said Sun Bun. “We are not sure why they had gone to Laos territory, but they may have gone there for illegal logging”. Sun Ban said that one man suffered a serious wound to his shoulder and was being treated at a hospital in Kratie province. After shots were allegedly fired by the Laos military, one group of three was able to cross the border into Cambodia that evening, while the other six got lost in the Laotian forest, where they remained for two days until returning on Saturday. Sy Suon, Siem Bang district governor, said his district had not yet contacted Laos officials. “I haven’t discussed with Laos over the gunshots ... because the border officials of both countries are in charge of the case [separately],” he said.
Border troubles: Villagers say Laos troops fired on them
- Ministers to tackle sea pollutants
Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s
- EU timber deal in firing line
A committee of more than 20 national and international organisations filed a petition to the EU on October 10 to prevent it from signing a timber trade agreement with Vietnam, noting that the deal would be disastrous to the Kingdom’s forests. The petition claims Vietnamese timber
- Kim Sok to keep up fight ‘for change’ from Finland
Kim Sok, wanted by the Kingdom’s authorities for defaming the government, reiterated on Sunday his determination to continue helping to make “a real change” to Cambodian politics after receiving asylum in Finland, even as a government spokesman mocked the political analyst over the development.
- PM: Programme to recover Vietnam War missing back on
Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced the resumption of the MIA programme to recover the remains of American service personnel missing after action on Cambodian soil during the Vietnam War. The programme was suspended for more than a year after the US government imposed visa