Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Borei Keila demolition thwarted

Borei Keila demolition thwarted

Borei Keila demolition thwarted


A gorup of police officers, security guards and Prampi Makara district authorities were unsuccessful yesterday in their attempts to demolish the remaining makeshift living quarters that are being inhabited by families in the Borei Keila community.

{jathumbnail}

Chum Ngann, representative for the evictees living at the site where their houses were bulldozed in January, said a group of about 100 police officers and authorities armed with shields, electric batons and axes descended upon the site yesterday morning.

She added that residents struggled with the forces, who managed to destroy a few of their makeshift shelters before retreating.

“We haven’t had shelter since January 3. Our plastic tents under the roof and stairs are filled with the bad smell of the waste from our last shelters,” the representative said yesterday.

Deputy governor of the Prampi Makara district, who was at the scene yesterday, expressed his concern for maintaining public order in the area.

“This kind of set up is tent anarchy, and will affect the environment in the Borei Keila development area,” he said.

Tim Sakmony, a resident who helped to repel the authorities yesterday, said the evictees would not be is such a dire situation if the Phan Imex company followed through with their promise to construct 10 buildings in which they could be housed.

Phan Imex only constructed eight of the 10 promised housing structures.

“Who could be happy and wants to live in a terrible situation? We have no choice, so we struggle to live and are waiting to receive a fair solution from the authorities who made us this way,” Tim Sakmony said.

Secretariat director for the Housing Rights Task Force Sia Phirum said the authorities are aware of the struggles that the evictees face, but have merely chosen to ignore them.

“Until the residents start to live in houses and have proper businesses, they will live in tents and under stairs. When will the authorities stop this eviction plan and provide additional compensation?” he asked.

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Long way to go before Cambodia gets a ‘smart city’

    Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang will struggle to attain smart city status without adopting far reaching master plans, according to officials tasked with implementing the program. The brainchild of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), the smart city program seeks to link up

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • China-Cambodia tourism forum held

    The Cambodian tourism sector must be prepared to welcome a growing number of Chinese tourists, as they lead the globe in the number of outbound travellers and were responsible for the most visitors to the Kingdom last year, the country’s tourism minister said on