Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Borei Keila evictees plead case

Borei Keila evictees plead case

Borei Keila evictees plead case

120705_04
Chhay Kimhon (second from right) speaks to reporters near the Municipal Hall yesterday after representatives of 117 families evicted from Borei Keila in January met officials to discuss their housing claims. Photograph: Pha Lina/Phnom Penh Post

Chhay Kimhon (second from right) speaks to reporters near the Municipal Hall yesterday after representatives of 117 families evicted from Borei Keila in January met officials to discuss their housing claims. Photograph: Pha Lina/Phnom Penh Post

Homeless Borei Keila evictees who have been living in tents surrounded by garbage since authorities bulldozed their homes in January pleaded outside Phnom Penh Municipal Hall for housing yesterday.

Representative Chhay Kimhorn said the families could no longer stand living in tents and stairwells infested with worms, flies and rotting garbage.

“We need the Phnom Penh municipal authority to quicken its step in tackling the problem for 117 families in Borei Keila community, because we, and especially our children, cannot stand such living conditions,” she said.

A meeting with two municipal officials, legal and human rights officer Hok Horlim and deputy administrative director Tiv Kimpiseth, had left her with little hope that the matter would be resolved any time soon.

“They didn’t guarantee when resolution will be reached but added that they are just intermediaries . . . and the real solution-maker is their superior,” she said, adding that this was “just an excuse” to postpone things further.

Development firm Phan Imex signed a contract in 2004 to build 10 high-rises at Borei Keila for 1,776 families in exchange for nearby land they lived on. The company finished only eight high-rises.

Fellow Borei Keila evictee Ou Bunla, 33, said the community could not accept City Hall’s claim that only 31 families of police and six other families were left to be compensated.

“The 117 families are Borei Keila residents suffering from the eviction of January 3 and we ourselves have not yet been granted a house,” she said.

Tiv Kimpiseth, city hall’s deputy administrative director, told the Post yesterday he was unaware of the years-long dispute.

“I just took up this position a few days ago,” he said.

Phan Imex, backed by the municipal authority, used security guards to destroy and bulldoze more than 200 houses on January 3.

More than 100 families were sent to relocation sites in Kandal province and on the outskirts of Phnom Penh, while the others remained at Borei Keila in protest.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh’s Jet’s Container Night Market shuts down

    The famous Jet’s Container Night Market in central Phnom Penh has shut down due to the high cost of the land rental, company representatives claim. Jet’s Container Night Market is the largest such market in Phnom Penh. It operated for just over two

  • Hun Sen rejects ‘rift’ rumours spread by ‘stupid gangsters’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday denied a “rift” among top leaders of the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), and rejected claims that Senate president Say Chhum and Interior Minister Sar Kheng were set to be removed from their positions as rumours spread by “gangsters”.

  • EU ambassador to Cambodia: Rights a ‘work in progress’

    The EU ambassador to Cambodia has called human rights “a work in progress” and said the 28-nation bloc has “carefully” noted last week’s statement by the government on taking further steps to strengthen democracy and the political sphere in the Kingdom. The EU marked

  • Assembly passes amendment to Political Party Law Article 45

    The National Assembly on Thursday unanimously approved a proposed amendment to Article 45 of the Law on Political Parties in a move that could pave the way for former senior opposition leaders banned for five years to return to the political stage. As expected, the 115 ruling