Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Borei Keila residents herald pledge of aid

Borei Keila residents herald pledge of aid

Borei Keila residents herald pledge of aid

120307_02b

Borei Keila evictees who have been sleeping in stairwells near where their houses once stood said yesterday the Phnom Penh municipal authority had promised to help them find homes.

{jathumbnail}

Ka Rohanny, 35, a representative of the evicted residents, told the Post Kiet Chhe, deputy administrative president of city hall, had told her that authorities, including representatives of the Anti-Corruption Unit, would again investigate the Borei Keila dispute to try to resolve the evictees’ housing problem.

“He claimed he would deal with ‘house offerings’ for those who have enough documents and will do charity for those who do not have documents,” Ka Rohanny said.

The evictees, however, were not convinced this offer meant they would soon be given the flats that development firm Phan Imex promised to build them in 2004.

“We are really happy after being informed, but we still wait to see if what they have said is true,” Ka Rohanny said.

Sixty former Borei Keila evictees, some of whom were detained in Prey Sar prison and the Prey Speu social affairs centre early this year for protesting, gathered near the Phnom Penh city hall yesterday as city hall officials and five Borei Keila representatives discussed the offer.

“This time, I believe that the municipal authority will really put in an effort to help us find justice,” Yann Phoeun, 39, a representative of the evictees, said.

Tim Saka, who was representing her disabled son Un Kongpiseth, said she was happy the municipal authority had offered to find him a solution.

“I hope the authority will provide a house in Borei Keila for my son,” she said.

Kiet Chhe could not be reached yesterday.

The residents also launched a criminal complaint against Suy Sophan, the owner of Phan Imex, to the Phnom Penh municipal court yesterday.

The group wants her charged over the demolition of their homes on January 3.

The same residents launched civil action against Suy Sophan last month, demanding she compensate them for her employees using bulldozers to knock down their houses and destroy their property.

Suy Sophan could not be reached by the Post for comment yesterday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s