Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Bou Meng distances victims from scandal

Bou Meng distances victims from scandal

Bou Meng distances victims from scandal

They often spend their days just metres from each other, talking visitors through the tragic history of the infamous Tuol Sleng detention center, but survivors Bou Meng and Chum Mey are miles apart in their views on the S-21 denial scandal.  

In a statement released yesterday, Bou Meng, deputy president of the Victims Association of Democratic Kampuchea, distanced the organisation from its president.

Meng’s statement said that while Chum Mey was welcome to lead a planned march protesting against opposition leader Kem Sokha’s alleged assertion that S-21 was a Vietnamese fabrication, he won’t be taking part.

“If Mr Chum Mey wants to announce a demonstration against Mr Kem Sokha, he does it as an individual, not on behalf of the Victims Association [Ksaem Ksan],” Meng’s statement said. “I have said again and again that I will remain neutral and not take part in this demonstration.”

Sokha, deputy president of the Cambodia National Rescue Party, has been under fire since the government’s May 20 release of an audio clip in which he is heard telling an audience that Tuol Sleng had been “staged” by the Vietnamese.

Mey then pledged to lead a 20,000 strong protest if Sokha failed to apologise within 10 days, a threat bolstered when Prime Minister Hun Sen predicted a “mass demonstration”.

The deadline came and went yesterday, and Mey, who agreed that the protest was his initiative alone, remained adamant it will take place.

“Every day, [people] have called me continuously saying they want to participate in this mass demonstration,” he said. “I want [Sokha] to come and apologise directly in front of me and in Tuol Sleng.”

CNRP spokesman Yim Sovann, who has previously said Sokha will not apologise for a “CPP fabrication”, yesterday warned that any protests came at the behest of the ruling Cambodian People’s Party.

“The provoker is the ruling party. The [CPP] has never announced support for a demonstration when the election is near like this,” Sovann said.

A law proposed by Hun Sen last week outlawing genocide denial is hurtling through the National Assembly.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen rejects ‘rift’ rumours spread by ‘stupid gangsters’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday denied a “rift” among top leaders of the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), and rejected claims that Senate president Say Chhum and Interior Minister Sar Kheng were set to be removed from their positions as rumours spread by “gangsters”.

  • Huge 3.5-tonne ivory haul seized in capital

    Working with US officials, Phnom Penh Autonomous Port has uncovered almost 3.5 tonnes of elephant ivory hidden in a container, the US Embassy in Cambodia said on Facebook on Saturday. A tip-off provided to the General Department of Customs and Excise by a US Fish and

  • EU ambassador to Cambodia: Rights a ‘work in progress’

    The EU ambassador to Cambodia has called human rights “a work in progress” and said the 28-nation bloc has “carefully” noted last week’s statement by the government on taking further steps to strengthen democracy and the political sphere in the Kingdom. The EU marked

  • Assembly passes amendment to Political Party Law Article 45

    The National Assembly on Thursday unanimously approved a proposed amendment to Article 45 of the Law on Political Parties in a move that could pave the way for former senior opposition leaders banned for five years to return to the political stage. As expected, the 115 ruling