Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - BREAKING: Adhoc 5 released from pre-trial detention

BREAKING: Adhoc 5 released from pre-trial detention

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Yi Soksan (left), Nay Vanda (centre) and Ny Sokha (right) being released from Prey Sar prison. Licadho

BREAKING: Adhoc 5 released from pre-trial detention

Five current and former employees of human rights group Adhoc were released under court supervision from pre-trial detention tonight, a spokesman for the Phnom Penh Municipal court has confirmed, after languishing in pre-trial detention for 427 days.

“The court had issued a court order to end the pre-trial detention of the five people by Judge Theam Chan Piseth today and is now executing the procedure at the prison,” court spokesman Y Rin said.

“After the judge has finished the investigation, the judge sent the case for the trial and he ended the pre-trial detention.”

Rin added that the release of Adhoc staffers Nay Vanda, Ny Sokha, Yi Soksan, Lim Mony and former Adhoc staffer Ny Chakrya – who is deputy secretary-general of Cambodia’s National Election Committee – is conditional. The five were jailed in relation to a scandal involving opposition leader Kem Sokha and an alleged mistress.

“The court put them under supervision and placed three conditions — they cannot change their residence without permission from the court and cannot leave the country without the court permission and must answer to the summons,” Rin said.

Rin offered no further explanation for the release of the prisoners, whose arrest is widely viewed as politically motivated, saying “this is the judge’s decision”.

The detention and case against the “Adhoc 5” has been widely criticised locally and internationally by human rights groups, the United Nations and foreign governments.

MOST VIEWED

  • Virus tops 84 with new cases in S’ville

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and it highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • Two French tourists latest Covid-19 cases in Kingdom

    The Kingdom on Saturday saw two more cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the total to 53. While the majority of the previous cases are linked to a Muslim religious gathering in Malaysia, the latest cases involved two French tourists visiting Sihanoukville. The Ministry of Health said

  • Kingdom’s virus toll tops 84, Cambodians in Thailand rush home

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and its highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • NBC calls for cashless payments

    The National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) has urged government ministries, financial institutions and the public to conduct cashless payments via electronic systems where possible to combat the spread of Covid-19. “To contribute to the prevention of Covid-19, the National Bank of Cambodia encourages financial institutions

  • CEO held for fraud in Siem Reap

    Over 200 individuals gathered in front of the Siem Reap Provincial Court last week to ask that Dim Suonnath, the CEO of a real estate company being held for fraud, take responsibility for compensating some 2,000 residents who invested with him. The request was denied. Suonnath responded

  • Ministry calls for home schooling

    Minister of Education, Youth and Sport, Hang Chuon Naron appealed to parents of students to provide home education in a proper environment and help them obtain more learning materials. The ministry also allowed schools to take a premature vacation after several people tested positive for