Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Breaking: Natural disaster deaths down this year

Breaking: Natural disaster deaths down this year

Breaking: Natural disaster deaths down this year

Deaths due to natural disasters in the first eight months of the year were down 88 per cent on the same period last year, data from the National Committee for Disaster Management (NCDM) obtained by The Post on Monday showed.

Natural disasters killed 87 people and injured 168, while nearly 300 buildings, including homes, schools and public administrative offices, were damaged.

Some 190,000ha of rice and other cash crops were also affected.

NCDM spokesman Keo Vy told The Post that six people had died in storms, with 93 injured. Lightning had killed 77 people and injured 75, while flooding was responsible for the deaths of four people.

“The death toll due to the three weather phenomena was 87 – a decrease of 51, or around 88 per cent, compared to the same period last year, which saw 138 deaths,” Vy said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Call for boycott of Angkor unacceptable

    Dear Editor, I wish to express my strong disagreement on the article published by Traveller for their website with the title Best places to go in 2020: 12 destinations you should avoid. Below is my opinion of the article. It is obviously free for the Traveller to

  • Ministry issues warning over coronavirus outbreak

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday asked the public to be on “high alert” as a new virus wreaks havoc across Asia. However, no cases have been reported in the Kingdom thus far. The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has raised the alarm for its similarity to

  • Probe underway after wreckage of drone with Chinese characters found

    Air Force Command spokesman Prak Sokha said on Sunday that investigations are underway regarding the wreckage of a drone that was recovered in Koh Kong province’s Koh Sdech commune in Kiri Sakor district. The wreckage has been taken to the capital for further examination,

  • Gov’t slams UN rapporteurs over Sokha trial statement

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation and the Permanent Mission of the Kingdom of Cambodia to the UN Office in Geneva deplored the statement of three UN special rapporteurs who claimed that Kem Sokha’s trial was “tainted” due to irregularities. The reaction

  • No power shortages next dry season, says energy minister

    Minister of Mines and Energy Suy Sem has assured the public that Cambodia will not suffer power shortages during the next dry season. Speaking on local TV on Tuesday, Sem projected a rise in power demand during 2020’s dry season – which starts in November and

  • Gov’t takes steps to lower logistics, transport costs

    With the threat of losing trade privileges in the EU drawing closer, the government is taking measures to reduce logistics and transportation costs to safeguard the Kingdom’s competitiveness. The EU is due to decide whether or not to withdraw the Kingdom’s trade privileges