Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Breaking: PM gives Laotian troops six days to leave border area



Breaking: PM gives Laotian troops six days to leave border area

Cambodian military engineers return from a disputed border area to Stung Treng province’s Siem Pang town in April.
Cambodian military engineers return from a disputed border area to Stung Treng province’s Siem Pang town in April. Pha Lina

Breaking: PM gives Laotian troops six days to leave border area

Prime Minister Hun Sen today gave Laos six days to withdraw troops from a border area in Stung Treng province’s Siem Pang district, where the construction of a road by Cambodian military engineers has led to tense stand-offs since February.

Speaking at the Peace Palace in Phnom Penh, the premier said he had placed the military on alert, saying it was “unacceptable” that Laotian troops had been sent across the Sekong River into Cambodia.

“Since April, our Laotian friends have sent forces into Cambodia’s territory in the O’alay area of Stung Treng province for the purpose of preventing us from building the road we want to build on our own land,” Hun Sen said, referring to an area in Santepheap commune.

“In the past day I have written a letter to the Lao prime minister [Thongloun Sisoulith] to request him to remove the force… There is no response yet.

“[Laos must] remove troops from Cambodia without conditions… the ultimatum is that August 17 is the deadline. I give you six days, if you do not want a problem, you remove the force.”

Conflict over the road, which, when finished, will skirt Cambodia’s northern border and join with another section being built in Ratanakkiri province, flared up in February, when hundreds of Laotian soldiers crossed the Sekong and demanded work stop, claiming the road ran through a yet-to-be demarcated area.

Cambodian military engineers building the road initially suspended work in response, though construction continued quietly in April.

Since then, Hun Sen said about 30 Laotian soldiers had been deployed across the Sekong, which marks the natural boundary between the two countries in that area.

The premier said he had spoken with the Laotian prime minister in May and told him to remove the soldiers.

“I told him clearly that we can tolerate each other but the lower level officials, they cannot tolerate each other and we need to be careful of causing a problem,” he said, adding that, subsequently, officials from the countries’ border committees were dispatched to inspect the site.

Frustrated at being “ignored” by Laos, Hun Sen said he had ordered Foreign Minister Prak Sokhonn to meet with officials at the country’s embassy in Phnom Penh and instructed Stung Treng Governor Mam Saroeun to meet with his counterpart from Laos’ Attapeu province, which borders Cambodia.

He also said he had ordered Defence Minister Tea Banh, military Commander-in-Chief Pol Saroeun, and Deputy Commander-in-Chief Kun Kim to prepare, adding that troops from the Preah Vihear-based Intervention Division 2 would be sent to the area, as well as soldiers from Brigade 21.

“If brothers and sisters see the troop mobilisation, please do not be shocked. Their destination is Stung Treng,” he said.

“We cannot allow anyone to step on Cambodian territory…a friend is a friend, but when a friend steps on our heads, it cannot be.

“Pol Sareoun, Tea Banh and Kun Kim have received the order, and if there is an unusual situation that takes place, please do not blame Cambodia.”

The premier added that he wanted to meet with his counterpart before “taking measures”, and also suggested obliquely that there may be someone “behind” Laos’ incursion.

“If there is, will we smash to break the one behind it,” he said.

“We do not announce war but we just want to take our land.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese