The Ministry of National Defence on Friday invited some 70 national and international journalists to inspect the Ream Naval Base following reports last week of a deal with China to use the facility.
The Wall Street Journal last Sunday reported that Cambodia had signed a secret agreement allowing the Chinese military to use the Kingdom’s Ream Naval Base, in Preah Sihanouk province in the Gulf of Thailand, for 30 years.
The journalists' visit, including those from Reuters, AP and AFP, was arranged by Ministry of National Defence spokesman Chhum Socheat and government spokesman Phay Siphan and was aimed at dispelling the reports.
Siphan said the visit had "killed the fake news".
“Cambodia has taken the opportunity to responsibly and transparently show we are not causing divisions in Asean. I believe that this visit has clearly killed the fake news on the spot,” Siphan said.