Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday.
The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said.
Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said officials were searching for the company or individuals behind importing the mostly plastic waste.
When found, the containers would be returned to the country or countries of origin, with those responsible to be punished, he said.
Officials broke open the containers on Tuesday after they had been sitting at Preah Sihanouk international port for some time.
Fake import documents said the containers held recyclables, but after being scanned in Cambodia they were found to contain nothing but plastic waste, a customs official involved in the operation was quoted by Fresh News as saying.