Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Breaking: Sokha released with conditions



Breaking: Sokha released with conditions

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Kem Sokha is at his house after the release late last night. Photo Supplied

Breaking: Sokha released with conditions

Opposition leader Kem Sokha was released on bail this morning after more than a year in pre-trial detention at Trapiang Thlong prison, also known as Correctional Centre 3 (CC3). He was held on treason charges.

One of his lawyers Chan Chen confirmed the release and said Sokha would stay out of public view for now.

“Kem Sokha, my client was allowed by the investigative judge to get bail. But he is under court surveillance with some conditions,” Chen said this morning in front of Sokha’s residence in the capital’s Tuol Kork district.

“He would like to say sorry to Cambodians and supporters who wish to meet him. But at this moment, he would like to excuse himself as he is unable to meet them” the lawyer said.

A letter from investigative judge Ky Rithy made public by Fresh News was sent to CC3 on September 9, ordering the prison chief to release Sokha. Another letter from CC3 chief Pin Yan said he was released on bail.

“Released [Kem Soka] on bail. In order [for him] to live at his house at …. This letter must be handed to commune police station within three days of his return home,” Pin Yan’s letter said.

Chen said Sokha was well “physical and mentality”. When asked if Sokha would be under house arrest, the lawyer said he has not seen the conditions of the release as yet.

A Phnom Penh municipal court spokesperson announced this morning that the release came with conditions in accordance to legal procedures.

“The decision was made after considering his health condition and with legal assurance that the accused Kem Sokha would not flee from court proceedings,” the letter said.

Sokha was arrested after midnight on September 3, last year. He was brought right away to CC3 in Tboung Khmum province.

He was charged with conspiring with foreign countries and faces up to 30 years in jail. In November, his Cambodian National Rescue Party was dissolved by the Supreme Court on charges of carrying out a color revolution.

This morning, a few hundred of Sokha’s supporters gathered in front of his house to show support for his release.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could