Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Breaking: Top traffic police officials deny graft claims

Breaking: Top traffic police officials deny graft claims

Breaking: Top traffic police officials deny graft claims

Two senior traffic police officials on Sunday denied allegations in an anonymous letter that they have been taking bribes from transport companies to intervene if their vehicles were seized by traffic police.

The anonymous letter said Chev Hak, Phnom Penh municipal deputy police chief in charge of traffic, and Sem Kunthea, Phnom Penh traffic police bureau chief, received between $500 and $1,000 a month from each firm.

“The trucks … used 'PN' and 'KT' stickers on their windscreens. Trucks bearing the stickers have been released immediately after being impounded by traffic police for entering Phnom Penh at the wrong time or for using unauthorised routes,” the letter said.

Hak and Kunthea on Sunday denied the allegations, saying the letter contained “false information”.

“I don’t know whether the anonymous letter was written by a traffic police official or someone else, but it’s not true. It’s an attempt to divide traffic police officials.

“Is it possible that I accept monthly payments between $500 and $1,000 from transport companies in return for not cracking down on them when [I] know that this is illegal?” Hak asked.

MOST VIEWED

  • Virus tops 84 with new cases in S’ville

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and it highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • Two French tourists latest Covid-19 cases in Kingdom

    The Kingdom on Saturday saw two more cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the total to 53. While the majority of the previous cases are linked to a Muslim religious gathering in Malaysia, the latest cases involved two French tourists visiting Sihanoukville. The Ministry of Health said

  • Kingdom’s virus toll tops 84, Cambodians in Thailand rush home

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and its highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • NBC calls for cashless payments

    The National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) has urged government ministries, financial institutions and the public to conduct cashless payments via electronic systems where possible to combat the spread of Covid-19. “To contribute to the prevention of Covid-19, the National Bank of Cambodia encourages financial institutions

  • CEO held for fraud in Siem Reap

    Over 200 individuals gathered in front of the Siem Reap Provincial Court last week to ask that Dim Suonnath, the CEO of a real estate company being held for fraud, take responsibility for compensating some 2,000 residents who invested with him. The request was denied. Suonnath responded

  • Ministry calls for home schooling

    Minister of Education, Youth and Sport, Hang Chuon Naron appealed to parents of students to provide home education in a proper environment and help them obtain more learning materials. The ministry also allowed schools to take a premature vacation after several people tested positive for