Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Bribe-soliciting embassy guard axed in Malaysia

Bribe-soliciting embassy guard axed in Malaysia

A taxi sits in front of the Cambodian Embassy in Malaysia in 2013. Google Maps
A taxi sits in front of the Cambodian Embassy in Malaysia in 2013. Google Maps

Bribe-soliciting embassy guard axed in Malaysia

A security guard at the Cambodian Embassy in Malaysia was fired on Sunday amid allegations he attempted to extract nearly $1,400 in bribes from a Cambodian maid seeking repatriation.

A statement issued yesterday by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it was not the first time that Ahtam Rosattea had been disciplined for graft during his two years working at the embassy.

“Her Excellency the ambassador held an urgent meeting with all embassy officers and staff on Sunday morning,” the statement noted. “Ahtam Rosattea had been warned once already in 2015 after demanding money from a Cambodian migrant worker, and a decision was taken to dismiss him.”

The statement identified Rosattea’s latest mark as Khloy Mony of Kandal province’s Sa’ang district. Mony arrived in Malaysia last year after being tricked by a broker who brought her there to work as a maid, according to the statement. Rosattea is alleged to have tried to exploit her at the embassy gate after she ran away from her employer to seek assistance.

“Because she wanted to come back to Cambodia, she came to the embassy twice at 6am,” the statement reads. “She met with a man who demanded 1,500 ringgit [$372], and 4,000 ringgit [$992] the second time in return for her coming home.”

Foreign Ministry spokesman Chum Sounry confirmed Rosattea’s dismissal yesterday.

“He demanded money but he didn’t get it,” Sounry said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will