Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - British pedophile gets seven years

British pedophile gets seven years

British pedophile gets seven years

pedo_philong
Matthew John Harland hides his face while entering the Phnom Penh Municipal Court in 2010. Photograph: Sovan Philong/Phnom Penh Post

The court of Appeal on Friday upheld the sentencing of British national Matthew John Harland to seven years in prison for purchasing child prostitution.

Presiding judge Pal Samoeun said the verdict, convicting Harland of buying sex from two girls, 15 and 16, and ordering compensation of one million riel (US$250) to each of the victims, stood.

Sameoun noted that anti-human trafficking and juvenile protection police had arrested Harland in 2010 on suspicion of forcing the girls to have sex with him in Phnom Penh.

The original verdict was announced in March, 2011.

Seila Samleang, country director of children’s protection NGO Action Pour Les Enfants (APLE), said Harland, 38, could be considered a high-risk repeat sex offender and should be deported.

“In any pedophile case, we ask the court to deport the offender, but they have rejected this request,” Samleang said.

“Deportation is very necessary in his case.”

According to APLE, the two victims testified that they had been sexually abused by Harland and received between US$50 and $100 in exchange for sex.

Samleang noted the abuse had occurred in 2006, but the victims were reluctant to come forward initially.

Harland denied the accus-ations during his February, 2011 trial, stating: “I did not have sex [with the girls].”

Dun Vibol, a defence lawyer who often represents foreigners accused of pedophilia, said Harland still had options.

“The sentence length is a common one for this type of crime, but he can still appeal to the Supreme Court or ask for general amnesty,” Vibol said.

To contact the reporter on this story: Buth Reaksmey Kongkea at [email protected]
Rachel Will at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Ethnic group ‘disappointed’ to be denied French visas to attend court

    Eleven people at the centre of a case involving seven indigenous Bunong villages in Mondulkiri province pursuing legal action in France have expressed disappointment after the French embassy in Phnom Penh denied their visa applications to attend court. A press release said the 11 included a

  • EBA withdrawal provides ‘opportunity for growth’

    Economic analyst Khoun Bunny said on Tuesday that the loss of the EU’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) agreement could be a golden opportunity for Cambodia to show it deserved to be ranked sixth on the list of the world’s fastest-growing economies. Government

  • Malaysia MP accused of ‘influencing law’

    Malaysian Member of Parliament (MP) Larry Sng arrived in Siem Reap early on Wednesday, in what was slammed by one NGO as efforts by Kuala Lumpur to “influence Cambodian law”. The Malaysian Embassy in Phnom Penh requested on January 30 “cooperation from the Ministry of Foreign

  • Ministries begin measures to offset EU’s EBA decision

    In the wake of the EU’s controversial announcement this week that it has begun the withdrawal process for Cambodia’s Everything But Arms (EBA) preferential agreement, government ministries and political analysts continued to share their reactions and economic mitigation plans in preparation for the