Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Brother of Kem Ley says suit against activists for swiping funeral funds is baseless

Brother of Kem Ley says suit against activists for swiping funeral funds is baseless

Kem Rithisith (third from right) and his mother accept funeral funds donated by Prime Minister Hun Sen in July of 2017. Fresh News
Kem Rithisith (third from right) and his mother accept funeral funds donated by Prime Minister Hun Sen in July of 2017. Fresh News

Brother of Kem Ley says suit against activists for swiping funeral funds is baseless

Kem Rithisith, brother of slain political analyst Kem Ley, yesterday said a litigious small-time politician’s lawsuit against the organisers of his brother’s funeral was unfounded, contradicting the plaintiff’s prior claims.

Cambodian Youth Party leader Pich Sros filed a suit accusing activist monk But Buntenh, independent media advocate Pa Nguon Teang and labour rights activist Moeun Tola of misappropriating funds meant for the revered political analyst’s funeral, claiming he had inside information from Ley’s brother, Rithisith.

The three have since been charged with “breach of trust” by the Phnom Penh Municipal Court, which also ordered they be placed in pre-trial detention.

Rithisith had initially been reticent on the subject of the suit, saying only that it was Sros’s “right” to file such a complaint, even while his sister-in-law, Bou Imolyta, publicly opposed the accusations from the outset. Yesterday, however, Rithisith said in an interview that Sros’s suit was baseless.

“I never supported the lawsuit,” Rithisith said.

“The committee did not hold the money,” he added, referring to the three civil society members, who helped organise the memorial. “The funeral money was controlled by the relatives of both sides.”

Ley, a popular public commentator, was murdered in 2016 in an assassination widely believed to be politically motivated due to his frequent criticism of the government. His death was met with a huge outpouring of public grief, and his funeral procession through Phnom Penh was tens of thousands strong.

Buntenh, Nguon Teang and Tola have also been critical of the government in the past. Sros, meanwhile, has risen to prominence largely thanks to his high-profile lawsuits against the opposition, prompting some to accuse him of acting as a proxy for the ruling Cambodian People’s Party, a charge he denies.

Sros filed his complaint against the three after Buntenh accused him of spending more than $2,000 to raise less than $800 towards a memorial stupa for Ley – an account that Sros readily acknowledged to be true.

Rithisith met with Sros to accept the money, and said he told him at the time that the family had collected about $100,000 in donations, which was given to Ley’s wife, who is overseas seeking asylum. Sros has claimed – without evidence – that the funeral committee raised $300,000, a figure Rithisith said was incorrect.

Though Rithisith said he didn’t remember all the details of his conversation with Sros “clearly”, he said he never indicated the family received less money than they expected.

“There should be no complaint,” Rithisith said yesterday. “We, the relatives, also appeal to the court to forgive them.”

Sros admitted yesterday that the estimation of $300,000 was his own.

“What [Rithisith] told me is that Venerable But Buntenh went abroad to collect money, but … he never received money from the monk But Buntenh, not even a dollar,” Sros claimed, saying this was the “clue” he relied on to file his suit.

Rithisith yesterday said that he had discussed Buntenh’s trip with Sros, but said that Buntenh later told him the money raised had been given directly to Ley’s wife.

Buntenh is currently abroad, and could not be immediately reached for comment on his fundraising. On Sunday, however, Buntenh said he did not plan to return to Cambodia for some time.

“I’ll return [to] Cambodia after finishing my study. It may be . . . about three years,” he said in a message.

Nguon Teang and Tola are also overseas. Nguon Teang could not be reached, but Tola has said he will return in the near future. Tola is currently on a regular scheduled trip through his labour rights group Central, and said he was “shocked” to learn about the breach of trust charges.

“It’s completely not fair,” he said.

“The family also confirmed that they didn’t lose any funds, they didn’t lose any money,” he said, asking “breach of trust of who?”

When asked if he believed the case was politically motivated, Tola deflected, saying only “the public might consider that”.

While Tola admitted he is “seriously concerned”, he said he still plans to return.

“I believe in my own facts that I did not commit anything wrong,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM imposes nationwide Covid restrictions, curfew over Delta scare

    Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28 instructed the municipal and provincial authorities nationwide to strictly enforce Covid-19 measures including curfew for two weeks from July 29 midnight through August 12 to stem the new coronavirus Delta variant. The instruction came shortly after he issued a directive

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Provinces on Thai borders put in lockdown amid Delta fears

    The government has decided to place several border provinces in lockdown for two weeks in a bid to prevent the new coronavirus Delta variant spreading further into community. According a directive signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28, the provinces include Koh Kong,

  • Delta spreading in Kingdom

    Cambodia has so far detected more than 200 cases of the highly contagious coronavirus Delta variant, with 109 found on July 31 and August 1. The Ministry of Health has expressed deep concerns that the variant may have already reached communities and be spreading as some of the cases

  • US' Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccines arrive

    The first batch of 455,000 doses of the Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine donated by the US touched down in Phnom Penh on the morning of July 30. They are part of the total 1,060,100 doses the US has pledged to provide to Cambodia through the World Health Organisation-led (

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four