Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Brother No 2 denies role in mass killings

Brother No 2 denies role in mass killings

Brother No 2 denies role in mass killings

090722_06pp

THIS WEEK IN HISTORY
Vol. 10, No.15
July 20th - August 2nd, 2001

FACED with new evidence of his complicity in crimes against humanity, former Khmer Rouge Brother No 2 Nuon Chea dismissed the allegations as "fabricated", declared he had no regrets for fulfilling his "duty for the nation", and asked with a laugh: "Do I look like a killer?"

Nuon Chea, one of seven former high-ranking officials singled out in a new report as prime candidates for prosecution for crimes against humanity, greeted the news with a response typical of former top Khmer Rouge leaders: total denial.

"Any people can produce such documents afterwards [to defame the Khmer Rouge]," Nuon Chea argued when excerpts of documents quoted in the report were read to him. "I admit some people were killed, but not millions. They died from starvation and illness."

He said the Khmer Rouge provided workers with "rice three times a day and dessert once a week".

After obtaining a copy of the report, titled "Seven Candidates for Prosecution: Accountability for the Crimes of the Khmer Rouge," the Post tried to interview the men listed by the authors as responsible for crimes against humanity.

Nuon Chea received the Post in his house in the former Khmer Rouge stronghold in Pailin. He spoke at length but admitted nothing.

Two others identified in the report, former Northern Zone Secretary Ke Pauk and Meas Muth, an army divisional commander, echoed Nuon Chea's denials of personal responsibility for torture and killings committed during the Democratic Kampuchea regime.

In Siem Reap, Ke Pauk angrily dismissed the report as "fiction", while Meas Muth in Phnom Penh said that "low-ranking officials" like himself were not to blame.

Using documents discovered in the past three years by the Documentation Center of Cambodia, researcher Steve Heder and international lawyer Brian Tittemore described the involvement of all seven men in mass killings during the regime.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • EU timber deal in firing line

    A committee of more than 20 national and international organisations filed a petition to the EU on October 10 to prevent it from signing a timber trade agreement with Vietnam, noting that the deal would be disastrous to the Kingdom’s forests. The petition claims Vietnamese timber

  • PM: Programme to recover Vietnam War missing back on

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced the resumption of the MIA programme to recover the remains of American service personnel missing after action on Cambodian soil during the Vietnam War. The programme was suspended for more than a year after the US government imposed visa

  • Kim Sok to keep up fight ‘for change’ from Finland

    Kim Sok, wanted by the Kingdom’s authorities for defaming the government, reiterated on Sunday his determination to continue helping to make “a real change” to Cambodian politics after receiving asylum in Finland, even as a government spokesman mocked the political analyst over the development.