Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Bulldozers seized by authorities in Stung Treng sanctuary

Bulldozers seized by authorities in Stung Treng sanctuary

Bulldozers seized by authorities in Stung Treng sanctuary

Stung Treng provincial environmental officials on Sunday confiscated two excavators that were inside the Anlong Phe Wildlife Sanctuary and will send the case to court, according to an official.

Eng Phirong, director of the provincial Environmental Department, said he received a report from villagers in Anlong Phe commune regarding two excavators being used to clear forestland inside the sanctuary for private ownership.

Authorities then inspected the area for two days on Saturday and Sunday before discovering the excavators, he said.

“Both vehicles were . . . [confiscated] and impounded at the provincial environment department,” he said, adding that the case will be sent to court.

Seng Kemsien, 37, owner of one excavator, denied that the land in question was inside the sanctuary. He claimed that it was part of a cashew plantation and that he had been hired by villagers.

He also identified the owner of the second excavator as Chrieng Sophanit.

Sophanit confirmed that his excavator had been seized before declining to comment further.

MOST VIEWED

  • Archeologists find ancient phallic statue

    An archeological team has found a metre-long tipless stone linga (penis) of the Hindu deity Shiva in the foundations of a temple in Kratie province’s historical Samphu Borak area, a former capital of the pre-Angkor Empire Chenla period. Thuy Chanthourn, the deputy director of

  • Man arrested for fake PM endorsement

    The owner of currency exchange company GCG Asia Co Ltd was temporarily detained by the court yesterday for attempted fraud after Prime Minister Hun Sen reacted to the company using his name and pictures to allege his endorsement of the firm. Phnom Penh Municipal Court

  • Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply. Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on

  • Police seek arrest of Chinese ‘gang’

    Cambodian police remain on the lookout for 20 Chinese nationals who earlier this month posted a video clip threatening to stoke insecurity in Preah Sihanouk province, though the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh maintained the group posed no threats to Cambodia’s national security. National Police