Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Buried Khmer Rouge bombs uncovered

Buried Khmer Rouge bombs uncovered

Buried Khmer Rouge bombs uncovered

130211 03b
Mortar rounds and other ordnance are organised in rows after being unearthed recently in Banteay Meanchey province. Photograph supplied

Provincial police and a team from the Cambodian Mine Action Centre (CMAC) uncovered a cache of mortars, rockets and anti-personnel landmines on Friday in Banteay Meanchey province’s Sisophon town, where officials believe they were buried by Khmer Rouge guerrillas during fighting in the 1990s.

Saem Bunnareay, the manager for CMAC’s Demining Unit 1, said that the operation was carried out in co-operation with provincial police, who were first alerted to the diverse war chest when a local farmer in O’Ambel commune was inspecting an irrigation canal.

The cache of unexploded ordnance and landmines appeared after the water level fell several metres.

“We found 13 mortars, 21 rockets and 13 landmines. Most of them were rendered useless by the dirt and water,” he said, adding the rest were destroyed the same day.

The finds aren’t uncommon, said CMAC deputy-director general Heng Ratana.  

“We’ve found many items like this, at the back of a house, at the back of a barn. Sometimes even the owner doesn’t know it at all,” he said.

Over the past couple of weeks dozens of CMAC volunteers have been undergoing training from the Golden West Humanitarian Foundation in the hope of joining the country’s first underwater salvage unit.

Theng Solay, statistics officer at CMAC’s Demining Unit 1, said that 3,201 items of unexploded ordnance were found on 555 hectares of land in Banteay Meanchey last year.

Of those, 1,600 were anti-personnel mines, 13 anti-tank mines and 182 kilograms of bullets for use in rifles.  

“Many hectares of land have unexploded ordnance, but we do not have a project to determine just how many,” he said.

People have become better aware of the problem, he added, noting that his office received more than 400 tips last year.

 

To contact the reporter on this story: Phak Seangly at [email protected]
 

With assistance from Joe Freeman

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Long way to go before Cambodia gets a ‘smart city’

    Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang will struggle to attain smart city status without adopting far reaching master plans, according to officials tasked with implementing the program. The brainchild of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), the smart city program seeks to link up

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • China-Cambodia tourism forum held

    The Cambodian tourism sector must be prepared to welcome a growing number of Chinese tourists, as they lead the globe in the number of outbound travellers and were responsible for the most visitors to the Kingdom last year, the country’s tourism minister said on