Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Bush meat trade continues

Bush meat trade continues

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Meat of wild animals is still for sale at the market in Stung Treng, despite campaigns by authorities and NGOs. Photo supplied

Bush meat trade continues

Market vendors in Stung Treng province claim the wildlife trade is still continuing despite frequent clampdowns and awareness-raising campaigns by the authorities and NGOs.

Stung Treng market vendor Roth Sary said the meat of wild animals such as muntjac, deer, banteng, wild boar, snake and turtle is still available at the market.

However, she said offenders do not sell wild meat daily and as openly as before, and that the market owner has also turned a blind eye.

“On Sunday, some vendors sold muntjac, wild boar and banteng meat at the market. The market manager did not prohibit them or report the matter to the authorities,” she said.

Sary said the practice has taken a toll on their business. “We are not happy when wild meat sellers appear on the market as it affects our business,” she said.

Provincial environment department director Eng Phirong on Monday acknowledged that the wildlife trade and hunting was still ongoing, but he said the illicit activities cannot be eradicated without the concerted efforts of relevant parties.

He said wildlife hunters had also changed their tactics from shooting to setting traps, making it harder for the authorities to stop the crimes.

“We launch raids on a regular basis to combat wildlife crimes. We acknowledge that there are shortcomings in our strategies to protect wildlife and prevent forestry crimes."

“The environment ministry or department alone cannot eliminate such matters. Wildlife protection needs the involvement of all relevant parties, including hunters and the local communities,” he said.

Phirong said that besides regular patrols and crackdowns by park rangers, the authorities have also launched an awareness campaign among vendors and residents in the province.

He urged the public to report crimes, including hunting and the sale of wildlife so that the authorities can act in a timely and effective fashion.

Phirong said park rangers had worked closely with local communities and authorities to patrol Prey Lang – a natural reserve forest spanning Stung Treng – and three other provinces, including Kampong Thom, Kratie and Preah Vihear.

Adhoc provincial coordinator Hou Sam Ol said he had seen a considerable decline in the wildlife trade after regular clampdowns by the authorities. While wild meat is still available at the market, he said vendors are more discrete now.

“Following frequent crackdowns, the sale of wild meat in Stung Treng market has decreased by about 90 per cent compared to last year."

“There were many types of wild meat for sale, including muntjac, deer, wild boar, and rabbit. Sometimes, the meat of endangered species like banteng is also available,” Sam Ol said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said