Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Cambodia launches first 24-hour news station

Cambodia launches first 24-hour news station

Cambodia launches first 24-hour news station

120717_06d

Kith Meng, chairman of the Cambodian News Channel and Royal Group, speaks during the launch of the new TV station yesterday. Photograph: Hong Menea/Phnom Penh Post

The Cambodian Broadcasting Service launched the Kingdom’s first 24-hour news channel, Cambodian News Channel, to great fanfare last night at its new studios.

During the launch, Kith Meng, chairman of both Royal Group and the new channel, said this news channel would further the development of Cambodia.

“We created this channel to help [the government] broadcast the progress and [the nation’s] development. We serve people who like news,” he said, adding that the initial US$15 million put into the station had beaten his estimate by some $9 million.

Kith Meng also announced during the launch that “in 2012, we are considering running a newspaper, but we are now finding a name for the newspaper. We name it to make the audience or readers like our name”.

Khieu Kanharith, Minister of Information, said that Kith Meng had been wanting to create a 24-hour news channel for the past three years, but was similarly held up in finding a name.

“News has become a need in Cambodians’ lives, because people want to know about political changes, development inside and outside the country,” Kanharith said.

Pa Nguon Teang, director of Cambodia Center for Independent Media, said that although CNC is new, the broadcaster will still be pro-government.

“This does not help our country make progress,” he said.

To contact the reporter on this story: Chhay Channyda at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Quarantine still a must for all arrivals, in next Covid chapter

    Since early May, an average of five to 10 Cambodian people have died from Covid-19 a day with many others testing positive amid the ongoing community outbreak. At the same time, however, hundreds of patients also recovered a day. The first Covid-19 case in Cambodia was

  • US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

    On June 11, the US embassy's Defense Attaché Colonel Marcus M Ferrara visited Ream Nava Base in coordination with Cambodian officials following the recent approval of Prime minister Hun Sen to allay the concerns on Chinese military presence at the base as raised by US Deputy

  • First commercial gold mine online

    Australian miner Renaissance Minerals (Cambodia) Ltd on June 21 began the commercial operation of its $120 million Okvau Gold Project in the northeastern province of Mondulkiri, becoming the Kingdom’s first gold producer. Located in the Okvau area in southwestern Mondulkiri province’s Keo Seima district, the

  • Jab drive heading to 5 provinces

    The government is set to vaccinate more than 1.2 million people in five provinces after finishing with Phnom Penh and neighbouring Kandal in an ongoing campaign administered by the ministries of Health and National Defence. The five provinces are Preah Sihanouk, Kampong Speu, Takeo, Kampong Cham

  • New immigration bill targets illegal foreigners in Kingdom

    General Department of Immigration (GDI) officials are discussing revisions to the new draft law on immigration to prevent foreigners from entering Cambodia illegally and to supervise those living in the Kingdom more effectively. The revisions draw wide support among civil society organisations. GDI director-general Kirth

  • Transport minister requests free trial of Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway

    The Ministry of Public Works and Transport held discussions with the company constructing the expressway from Phnom Penh to Preah Sihanouk province to allow drivers to test the road free of charge before an official toll is set. While inspecting the progress of its construction