Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Cambodia ‘measles free’, WHO reports



Cambodia ‘measles free’, WHO reports

Cambodia ‘measles free’, WHO reports

The World Health Organization has declared Cambodia measles-free, having not registered a confirmed case in over three years, marking a success in combating what was once the country’s most deadly communicable disease.

In the announcement made at the WHO Regional Verification Commission, held in Macau last week, Cambodia appeared alongside Japan and Brunei Darrussalam as countries that have now eliminated measles.

The designation drew praise from WHO Country Representative in Cambodia Dr Dongil Ahn, who emphasised the ongoing nature of the battle against the disease.

“Our next steps now would be to strengthen measles surveillance and maintain optimal population immunity,” Ahn told the commission.

It is the culmination of the country’s most recent drive to tackle measles, launched in February 2011, following campaigns in 2001 and 2007, and efforts dating back to the 1980s.

Prior to 1998, measles was the most deadly communicable disease in Cambodia, and as recently as 2008 more than 1,500 cases were reported among children.

According to professor Sann Chan Soeung, of the Health Ministry’s National Immunization Program, a country is classified by the WHO as having “eliminated” a disease when there is less than one case per million people among the population.

Despite this allowance, Chan Soeung said no laboratory-confirmed cases had been recorded since November 2011. Chan Soeung added that the government will now turn its attention to combating rubella.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants