Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Cambodia signs $3.1 million agreement with South Korea to create jobs site

Cambodia signs $3.1 million agreement with South Korea to create jobs site

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Cambodian Labour Minister Ith Samheng and his South Korean counterpart Labour Minister Kim Young Joo, at the signing of an MOU on Monday. Facebook

Cambodia signs $3.1 million agreement with South Korea to create jobs site

Labour Minister Ith Samheng signed an agreement with his South Korean counterpart to create an online jobs portal for Cambodians during a five-day trip to South Korea over the Khmer New Year holiday.

The $3.1 million agreement between the two ministries will run until 2021, with funding coming from Korea. The goal is to create a public online jobs database in Cambodia where employers with vacancies can be matched with job seekers, according to the ministry.

Labour Ministry spokesman Heng Sour stressed that the agreement is not related to migrant workers, but "to strengthen the public employment service for the National Employment Agency", he said in a message.

The two governments will first study each others' public labour service systems before beginning the bulk of the project next year, which will involve setting up and installing the technology and software to create the job matching system.

The third phase, in 2021, will focus on technical monitoring and evaluation, Samheng said.

The project will be led by Cambodia's National Employment Agency, which was formed in 2009 to act as a one-stop shop for companies looking for workers.

During the trip, Samheng also rang in the Khmer New Year with hundreds of Cambodian workers living abroad in South Korea, warning them to obey immigration laws and return to Cambodia after their contracts are finished.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen asks Cambodians to believe in government

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Monday asked citizens and investors to trust that the government will overcome the challenges brought about by Covid-19 and the loss of the EU’s Everything But Arms (EBA) scheme. Speaking to reporters at the Peace Palace in Phnom Penh,

  • Westerdam passenger ‘never had’ Covid-19

    The US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said the US citizen that allegedly tested positive in Malaysia after travelling on the Westerdam was never infected with Covid-19 in the first place. In an article published in the newspaper USA Today on Friday, CDC

  • ‘Ghost staff’ found, $1.7M returned to state coffers

    The Ministry of Civil Service said more than seven billion riel ($1.7 million) in salaries for civil servants was returned to the state last year after it discovered that the books had been cooked to pay ‘ghost officials’. This is despite claims by the Ministry of

  • Woman wanted for killing own son

    Police in Phnom Penh’s Meanchey district are on the lookout for a woman who allegedly hacked her son to death on Sunday in Stung Meanchey III commune. District police chief Meng Vimeandara identified the son as Chan Sokhom, 32. “The offender can’t escape forever.

  • H5N1 also poses deadly threat, ministry warns

    The Ministry of Health’s Communicable Disease Control (CDC) department has called on citizens to excise caution over H5N1 or bird flu that is spreading in the southern province of Vietnam. In a Facebook post, the department announced that it has made a series

  • Gloom hits Siem Reap tourism

    As the Kingdom’s overall tourism sector continued to grow last year, industry insiders in Siem Reap have expressed their deep concerns, citing a sharp drop in Chinese arrivals to the province beginning late last month. Cambodia earned $4.91 billion in international tourism revenue last year,