Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Cambodia, Vietnam exchange border maps amid criticism



Cambodia, Vietnam exchange border maps amid criticism

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Cambodia Border Affairs Committee vice-chairman Koy Pisey and Vietnamese Border Affairs Committee vice-chairman Fung Thelong co-signed an agreement at the handover and reception ceremony after they verified and agreed to accept the maps on August 01, 2020. Koy Pisey Facebook

Cambodia, Vietnam exchange border maps amid criticism

Cambodia and Vietnam formally exchanged border maps on Monday despite criticism from former members of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) that the Kingdom is losing land in the deal.

The two countries said agreement on the border is 84 per cent complete, leaving roughly 16 per cent of the 1,270km border to be finalised.

Cambodia Border Affairs Committee Chairman Var Kimhong explained the establishment of the 1/25,000 maps at the exchange ceremony where the two sides agreed on all 500 sets of border topographic maps at the Moc Bai border crossing, Tay Ninh province, Vietnam.

Cambodia Border Affairs Committee vice-chairman Koy Pisey and Vietnamese Border Affairs Committee vice-chairman Fung Thelong co-signed an agreement at the handover and reception ceremony after they verified and agreed to accept the maps.

“These maps are modern ones in the 4.0 digital era, clearly showing borderlines, border markers and geographical situations. It is easy to use,” Pisey said.

Immediately after the map exchange ceremony, the former CNRP released a statement voicing concern over the maps. The statement claims the maps were drawn by Vietnam through the 1985 border treaty and the 2005 Supplementary Treaty.

“The CNRP understands that accepting new maps 1/25,000 from Vietnam is like accepting land titles of Cambodia that were drawn by Vietnam. In this sense, the territorial integrity of Cambodia was demarcated by Vietnam,” the statement read.

In an interview with The Post on Monday, Kimhong rejected the CNRP claims as baseless and without research.

He said the maps were produced new by the Danish firm Bloom Info and later another company Niras took over the work, which was completed last year. All phases of production were examined by the Cambodian and Vietnamese sides.

The maps were also verified on the actual land to see whether aerial pictures are correct. After agreeing to the maps, both sides set marker locations and the companies put markers and borderlines into the maps as well as check them against what both sides agreed to.

Both sides plan to lodge the maps with the UN, Kimhong said.

Watch video:

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese